Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Scary Teddy Bear
Joined
·
14,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
of a compact crankset vs a standard double in cyclocross racing. Has anyone raced with compacts and noticed a definitive advantage?...If so what?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,490 Posts
I guess slightly lighter

when paired with a smaller cassete you can achive the same gear ratios. I would think it not worth it if shifting suffered.


physasst said:
of a compact crankset vs a standard double in cyclocross racing. Has anyone raced with compacts and noticed a definitive advantage?...If so what?
 

·
Scary Teddy Bear
Joined
·
14,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well

DPCX said:
For me personally, if I cant climb it in a 38/26 running is probably faster. I think the largest, smallest chainring you can get on a compact is 36, correct? I did have some old XTR cranks made into a double on my commuter cross bike & that gearing (34/46) was welcome on some of the climbs on my ride home. I also loaned that bike to forum member Steve_ef from Socal on a holiday visit up here last fall. I dont think he ever got out of the big ring during his race. My .02cts. :)

Dave

the reason I asked, is the Kona JTS I bought for cross racing next year, has a 50/34 compact on it, and I am in the process of upgrading the components on my road bike, and am wondering if I should switch the compact to the road bike, and put a standard double crankset on the cross bike....does that sound right to you?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
635 Posts
physasst said:
of a compact crankset vs a standard double in cyclocross racing. Has anyone raced with compacts and noticed a definitive advantage?...If so what?
For me personally, if I cant climb it in a 38/26 running is probably faster. I think the largest, smallest chainring you can get on a compact is 36, correct? I did have some old XTR cranks made into a double on my commuter cross bike & that gearing (34/46) was welcome on some of the climbs on my ride home. I also loaned that bike to forum member Steve_ef from Socal on a holiday visit up here last fall. I dont think he ever got out of the big ring during his race. My .02cts. :)

Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
635 Posts
physasst said:
the reason I asked, is the Kona JTS I bought for cross racing next year, has a 50/34 compact on it, and I am in the process of upgrading the components on my road bike, and am wondering if I should switch the compact to the road bike, and put a standard double crankset on the cross bike....does that sound right to you?
That sounds like a good move. I'm a big fan of compact cranks on the road bike since it allows you to run much lower gears w/o having to run a triple.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,227 Posts
I think for most cross courses, the compact might have you doing some extra front shifts, which isn't always advisable when your driveline is all muddy. If you can do a swap to your road bike (the bottom bracket needs to be the same) then perhaps you may like a sngle ring, I have been messing with a 42 front ring on my new bike for a couple of rides and find I like it a lot so far.
 

·
Scary Teddy Bear
Joined
·
14,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jroden said:
I think for most cross courses, the compact might have you doing some extra front shifts, which isn't always advisable when your driveline is all muddy. If you can do a swap to your road bike (the bottom bracket needs to be the same) then perhaps you may like a sngle ring, I have been messing with a 42 front ring on my new bike for a couple of rides and find I like it a lot so far.

Thanks, that is sort of what I was thinking...
 

·
More Cowbell!
Joined
·
4,832 Posts
physasst said:
Thanks, that is sort of what I was thinking...
Depends on what you're going to be doing with the bike. I think you can go 34/46 with a compact and that would be pretty nice if you wanted to do some trail riding. However, that gearing would suck for racing.

An interesting combo to consider is 34/42 plus an outer chain guard. When you race, you just leave it in the big ring but you have lower grearing for goofing around on trails and such. Also, if you "drop" your chain, it will most likely drop to the 34 instead of off the rings entirely. Shifting it back up would be a breeze.

For a primarily race machine, 38/46 is my fav.
 

·
Old, slow, and fat.
Joined
·
3,897 Posts
IIRC my rings are 34/44 (or 46) on my bike. I tend to ride it more like a mtn bike than a race bike, so I 'need' the lower gears. I've got an XTR crank with a 110mm adapter on it, which I guess technically makes it compact. (Tho to me, compact means a Suntour crank with a 56mm granny BCD)

I find that when racing, I tend to stick it in the big ring and just shift the rear. (not that I did much of that this last few winters!)

The 50t will be a good thing if you're trying to keep up with road bikes. A 50x12 is a lot like a 53x13.

M
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top