Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm just riding along, returning home from about a 35 m ride, north wind to the back (little help) and slight uphill grade (no help) when out of a driveway come a 3 dog dog pack. Wouldn't do a thing I told them to do, but at least did not spear my front wheel. The biggest dog nipped me on the butt! The first bite I ever had riding! Didn't really break the skin - well, borderline. I waited for the Sheriff - good excuse to rest. The Sheriff animal control deputy came out, but I asked him to just warn the owners. I'm going back tomorrow with some pepper spray.

·
Bill Dobie
83 Posts
Good idea! Pepper spray worked for me. I carry a small canister on every ride. In my neck of the woods people properly restraining their dogs just doesn't happen. Unfortunately you will one day find your self with an empty can when you need it most. When this happened to me I sprayed the last of my water as a dog rapidly approached with bad intentions. It worked. Seemed to break his attention long enough for him to slow a bit and then lose interest. I have found though that when there is more than one dog in the pursuit they stay more focused on the prize.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
The Sheriff animal control deputy came out, but I asked him to just warn the owners.
Three loose dogs and one of them actually bit you? And you asked the sheriff just to warn them? You were nicer than I would have been.

I hope the pepper spray works. Watch out for the wind direction, so you don't give yourself a facefull.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
blackfrancois, they won't let me give you more rep. so I'll do it here!!! Great reply.

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
blackfrancois, they won't let me give you more rep. so I'll do it here!!! Great reply.
Jake Gittes: What can I tell you, kid? You're right. When you're right, you're right, and you're right.

or ...

Evelyn Mulwray: Tell me, Mr. Loving, does this often happen to you? I'm judging only on the basis of one afternoon .., but, if this is how you go about your [ride,] I'd say you'd be lucky to get through a whole day.
David: Actually, this hasn't happened to me for a long time.
Mulwray: When was the last time?
David: Why?
Mulwray: It's an innocent question.
David: In Waxahachi.

B^)

·
Cycling Addict
5,178 Posts
Back in the early 80s I was out on a ride in the country outside Athens, GA when I came upon a steep hill. As I was climbing that hill a German Shepherd came charging out after me, caught up to me and lunged for my ankle. You youngsters probably didn't know this but in those days most cycling shoes were leather and had hundreds of little holes in them for ventilation. One of his teeth got caught in one of those holes, causing his head to jerk up and down rapidly a few times before he extricated the tooth from my shoe (no way was I stopping - I kept pedaling furiously!).

I was never chased by that dog again...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.