Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone, it's my first post so please be gentle! ;)

I can get a 2012 Fuji Roubaix 3.0 (it has the Sora group) for 550$ out the door. But on bikes direct I see a Mercier Aquila with a Tiagra group and Shimano R-501 wheel set for 150$ more than the Fuji. The Fuji comes with the stock wheelset (CGC Alloy whatever that means).

I'm not sure if I should stick with the Fuji or go for the Mercier (if the 150$ is worth it or not). I also read things about the Sora shifters being hard to shift in drops so that also makes me nervous (I've only used the twisting shifters before).

My current bike is the GMC Denali from W-mart so I'm not familiar with any of the higher-priced bikes :( I've done 4 century rides on my Denali so far and I was wondering if this would also help my speed for future ones (I always see a lot of people just going much faster than me and I can't keep up).

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Hopefully, you have already test ridden the Fuji. You have now had the opportunity to learn both how well it fits and how well it performs. You won't have the same opportunity with the Mercier, until it finally arrives at your doorstep. If it doesn't fit properly or perform up to your expectations, it will be your dime that sends it back to Bikesdirect. That will eat into your savings and eventually become a loss. OTOH, if it fits and performs well, then you would have cashed in on an excellent opportunity. However, that's a gamble of course! Also, the Mercier won't have the resale value of the Fuji, because most people have never heard of the brand. Besides, you can always cash in on your savings with the Fuji right now and upgrade to either Tiagra or 105, later. Logic tells me that you would best go to your LBS and get the Fuji, where the people there can always assist you with any future problems with the mechanics of your bike, or possibly even a warranty issue. Go with the Fuji! ....A bird in the hand is worth two in a bush...

·
Cranky Old Bastard
2,337 Posts
Don't take this harshly, but how did you determine that the "one size fits all" Malwart bike fits you?

There are tons of threads here on bike fit because it is so important. Fit is much more important than which particular bike you own. Riding an ill-fitting bike will hurt you, literally.

I'm impressed that you've ridden centuries, did you have that bike fitted to you?

People have ridden and adapted to wrong size bikes for years and until they got a good fit didn't realize how much of a difference it makes.

If you do know what you're doing get the internet bike but otherwise it would be to your advantage to buy from a shop that will fit you to the new one.

And don't worry about those guys that go faster than you! There is only one "fastest" guy in the world at any one moment. Half the world is below average; if you pass more than get passed you're doing great!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Another thing to consider, beyond the bike itself, is building a relationship with your LBS. That is something that the internet cannot provide. Having a bricks and mortar place to go for advice, repairs, adjustments etc. is priceless.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
I'm assuming that "out the door" means buying it at a LBS? Unless you can do the final assembly/adjustments yourself, you have to factor in what it will cost you to have that done at a shop.

With 2012 Sora, you can shift down (lower gear) fine from the drops. It's only the thumb button to go up that will be hard to reach. How much riding are you going to be doing on the drops, as opposed to the hoods?

·
Registered
11 Posts
This is sort of a bad choice, because if you're evaluating the Fuji Roubaix 3.0, you should evaluate it versus the BD comparable with Sora Groupset (Mercier Galaxy?) which is also $550.

The price on the Fuji Roubaix seems really good, imho. The MSRP is way higher, afaict. I think it ships with Alex rims/generic hubs, which should be a good enough wheelset. I'd pick the Fuji.

I mail-ordered my first bike (Tommaso Monza) a few years ago and I still ride it. However, I'm mechanically inclined and I don't mind spending hours doing repairs and upgrades and dealing with Shimano for warranty repairs. It took me several months to get the fit/comfort I wanted, and it still isn't 100% there. Although I've been fairly happy with my purchase, if I had to do it again, I would have shopped around my local LBS.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your thoughts everyone.

Yes the Fuji is from Performance bikes close to me! And my Denali isn't fitted well to me - I'm a little less than 5'10 and I have the 57.5 version and I realized that after trying some bikes at my LBS. (It was my first road bike! I thought all sizes were the same... :( )

I also ride the hoods more than the drops.

I was curious if the 150$ upfront is worth the rim and tiagra upgrade upfront. I also tried the Fuji and it fits me much better and feels more comfortable than my Denali. I thought Merciers had the same frames.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts

Yes the Fuji is from Performance bikes close to me! And my Denali isn't fitted well to me - I'm a little less than 5'10 and I have the 57.5 version and I realized that after trying some bikes at my LBS. (It was my first road bike! I thought all sizes were the same... :( )

I was curious if the 150$ upfront is worth the rim and tiagra upgrade upfront. I also tried the Fuji and it fits me much better and feels more comfortable than my Denali. I thought Merciers had the same frames.
There's approximately about $100 difference in price between Sora and Tiagra gruppos. Therefore, of course, if the Mercier fit you and it performed as well as the Fuji, then it would be a better buy, considering that you'd wanna keep it and not sell it again. However, you DO NOT KNOW if the Mercier will fit you. All bicycle frames are sized differently. A size 56cm in a Fuji, could very well be a size 58cm in a KHS, and a size 54cm in a Surly. That's why bicycles need to be test ridden, before purchase.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes, I think the $150 upgrade to Tiagra and wheel upgrade is worth it, all else being equal.

But by that logic, you should look at the Scattante R570 for $800, which has a bunch of 105 parts and a nicer wheelset. Also, you should be able to get it sized at Performance.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I would tell you to go the Fuji @ Performance, one main reason is like you said they are close to you and they are nation wide great if you take your bike on vacation and something breaks. Another reason is when you pay the $10.00 or whatever it was to be a member you get cash back toward you next purchase. I would then take the $55.00 credit you will get and apply it to a set of $229.00 FSA Omega wheels that will be lighter and faster than the stock wheels will be. Then you can C-list the stock wheels for $100.00 or so to recoup even more, but I would keep them as back ups personally. I believe the wheels would be more beneficial than sora to tiagra. I ride sora with no problems.

·
Registered
566 Posts

Even if you were certain of your exact size requirements, test- riding would still be the only way to determine how the bike is going to feel and whether you like riding it. I'd go with whatever you can test in person.

And while you are at it, try a few more, like a Jamis Satellite Sport.

JAMIS BICYCLES

The steel frame set is much smoother than the aluminum will be, and Jamis gives a lot of bike for the money. Remember, the frame set is also a component, and it's the most important one. Dérailleurs etc are much easier to upgrade. You rode 4 centuries on a Denali? Holy Crap! That's impressive. It sounds like you are a distance rider. Steel will be the most comfortable seriously. At least test one to see the difference. The Jamis options are very reasonably priced.

Make sure you get a good bike-fitting with whatever you decide to get, where they take a couple of hours with you on the trainer (indoors) and carefully adjust everything.

Also, bikes geometries are not standard, and even if the composition of the frame-sets happen to be similar, geometry and overall design affects the way a bike feels and rides.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I'm sure they will tell you about it when you/if you inquire about it. They should offer you a membership at the time you buy your bike. I can't remember if it is $10.00 or $20.00 for the membership but it is worth it. They will sell you a membership at anytime. I don't work at PB but I have shopped there plenty and have nothing but good to say about them.

·
Cranky Old Bastard
2,337 Posts
Never heard of this membership! Does that go for other purchases, too? Or just bikes?
I just went to their site and cannot find the option to join their "club".

A few months ago it was $30 to join and you get 10% points on everything you buy. So if you spend $100 you get a $10 credit.

I'm not likely spending enough money there to make it worthwhile to me. Nashbar is much cheaper everyday.

But if you're buying a bike it could easily be worth the $30.
I get their daily sale emails and got the "triple points" email. If you buy a $1000 bike you get $300 store credit, wow!

Edit: That membership is good for one year and if you buy it with a credit card it is self-renewing. I hate when you have to remember to cancel something before they automatically charge you again.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
grand record

looks like your fuji is gone...at least from performance

i think for you, grand record moto. relative to the mercier, same money, probably a better frame--i think they are thinking kind of a cross/road frame hybrid or some such syht with the newly configured mercier frame. gr is a pretty solid starter for 650, pretty good shifters for entry level.

Save up to 60% off new Road Bikes - Motobecane Grand Record

or even better bro

2013 Scattante R570 Road Bike

105 is worth it, much smoother and lighter than tiagra. and the fsa crank is solid. wheels are important, but they are gonna suck any way you roll in these categories. that scattante is a nice bike...ton of value, little more bread; for 800 bucks if you can get a free ship is a steal

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Walmart has different size bikes with some of their models, biggest problem with them, besides low quality bikes, is that they don't always have certain sizes in stock. But Walmart bikes are fine for the casual rider who may go around the block, or take a cruise once a week around a park, some people do commute on them though; having said that they do sell the Schwinn Varsity on-line for $650, and the Cycle Force for $500 both with Sora derailleurs which hold up reasonably well, and those come in 3 sizes. But I think you could get a better bike from Bikes Direct or Performance for that money.

Of the two you selected the Fuji would be lighter but the other would be stronger with it's steel frame vs the aluminum frame of the Fuji. The Fuji looks nicer if that matters any

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.