Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

61 - 64 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
I'm not confused. I posted a question to show me where near NYC/Yonkers there is a 1000' climb. You stated that there are climbs all over and posted a picture of a rock overlook.
The OP posted the elevation of his ride up that road that looked to me to have (3) 1000' climbs, where are those climbs?

It's just that simple, paragraph after paragraph about how I'm not from NYC and I don't understand is unnecessary.
It appears you misread the elevation graph. The 1000 ft elevations on that map are "max" elevations; I started my ride at an elevation of 500ft. and reached the 1000ft mark about 20 miles into my ride. Since it was a sort of out and back route, I had the same elevations on the way back. It's not like I climbed one big wall of 1000ft 3 times starting from sea level. Hope that helps and clarifies. Also in case you are interested here is a complete list of popular climbs in the area:

https://nycc.org/rides/regional-hill-grades

My ride was mostly through Bergen and Rockland counties.

·
Neophyte
2,154 Posts
OP, as you know there are a lot of riders, even recreational, who ride much longer climbs because the terrain is available to them (blessed to be in Colorado, California, etc). Sometimes people might scoff at the climbs in your area, or at rides where you aren't doing more than 100ft/mile.

But these look like good climbing hills for sure. Climb on and enjoy getting better.

I know people including myself have posted that gearing preference is different for everybody, etc... I would personally say to you of course an 11-32 will allow you to keep your cadence up on the steep stuff. But with a 34 front / 28 rear combo as long as you keep riding, that ratio should let you climb just about anything once you're used to it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
OP, as you know there are a lot of riders, even recreational, who ride much longer climbs because the terrain is available to them (blessed to be in Colorado, California, etc). Sometimes people might scoff at the climbs in your area, or at rides where you aren't doing more than 100ft/mile.

But these look like good climbing hills for sure. Climb on and enjoy getting better.

I know people including myself have posted that gearing preference is different for everybody, etc... I would personally say to you of course an 11-32 will allow you to keep your cadence up on the steep stuff. But with a 34 front / 28 rear combo as long as you keep riding, that ratio should let you climb just about anything once you're used to it.
Appreciate your advice (this thread was degenerating into something else so glad this didn't go off track) I am definitely leaning towards a 11-32 setup. I will have to change to a long cage RD as well. I still think i have scope for improvement with my current setup and lighter wheels will only help so there is no rush but good to have the info. I ride what is available to me so more power to those who are surrounded by hills. My focus for now is to just get better at climbing on my regular routes. Alpe De Huez can wait for now.

61 - 64 of 64 Posts