Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, crazy or not, I've been seriously thinking of doing the FC508 on a fixed gear bike. While training for this, riding up (and down) 4,000 foot climbs in my trusty 41x16 gear (with rpms down in the 20's), I get some knee soreness for a few days after. Based upon someone's advice here, I've arranged for an examination and consultation with a sports doc next Monday, to check my condition (no pain right now) and get advice on whether and/or how to do this.

My question is, what should I ask this doc to ensure he gives me all pertinent info about training lots on the fixed gear bike and racing a 508 mile event (with 35,000 feet climbing) on a fixed gear? Any ideas?

The goal here is to do the event, and train and strengthen my legs/joints to handle the stress, if possible. However, I also want to know the risks of doing this, both immediate and long term. If there is no way to do it without permanent damage, then I want to know that, too. Any experience with something like this?

Thanks for any input.

Doug

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks

I emailed Fred Matheny. I'll forward the response when I get one.

Good idea about the Heiden guys. They certainly ought to be able to tell me what I need to know. I'll start with my local doc, and go to them if I'm not satisfied.

Thanks.

doug

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.