Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dammit. I am back on the bike but jittery. I didn't get hit by a car but went down pretty hard in a paceline (didn't take out anyone else). Any words of advice for getting rid of the jitters? I know, just keep pedaling...

·
Cat 6
4,695 Posts
CAT4ever said:
Dammit. I am back on the bike but jittery. I didn't get hit by a car but went down pretty hard in a paceline (didn't take out anyone else). Any words of advice for getting rid of the jitters? I know, just keep pedaling...
my 2 cents, try not to think about it too much and get back in the pack asap.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I felt the same way after my last crash, I guess it just goes away after a while as long as you get yourself right back into the pack.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Crash again

but not too hard, and u'll realize that it's no big deal.

·
Registered
46 Posts
So...

true. But road crashes always seem to hurt me more.

The most likely way to cause another crash is to think about it while riding. Clear your mind, else crash again.

MC

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,413 Posts
I remember my first bad crash. I was off the bike for three weeks (busted ribs), and then it took another two weeks to feel confident on the bike again.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Moving ahead vs. staying in place

CAT4ever said:
There's three ways to approach this:

1 - Get scared that pacelining is dangerous. This is the wrong approach. Plenty of people paceline safely all the time. If everybody stopped doing things just because there was some risk involved, nobody would ever do anything - including get out of bed or walk across the street. Nothing ventured nothing gained and all that.

2 - Just shrug it off, because these things "just happen". Another wrong approach. Things don't just happen - they happen for a reason. You weren't just an "innocent bystander" - your crash was directly related to something you did or didn't do. Unless you learn from this experience, it will just happen again.

3 - Treat it as a learning experience. Figure out what happened, and then very importantly, figure out what you should have done differently in the same circumstances. Then go out and practice doing what you've learned that you should have (or shouldn't have) done. Next time you're in a paceline, instead of thinking about happens if you crash again, instead concentrate on what you need to do to avoid that situation again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts