Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've restarted my commute commitment and need some advice on lights and fenders.

I use my cyclocross bikes, sometimes w/ 32mm tires. My frame doesn't have the normal bridges or attachment points for fenders so I got a set of SKS Raceblades. Won't work because my fork doesn't rake properly and the rear tire is still too big.

I'm looking at an SKS X-blade and a front mudguard:
http://www.performancebike.com/shop...&slisearch=true

Any other suggestions?

For lights, I'm looking for a decent headlight. I have an HL-500 and it's fine until I hit pitch black. Any suggestions that'd be a decent upgrade from that?

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Your link doesn't work. MarkS has a phenominal light I'm not sure what kind though. As for fenders, I have an old road bike; I have had to use a clip on rear fender or put on my rack and let that block the splatter.

·
What'd I do?
1,775 Posts
The clip on fenders work OK. I'd love to have full fenders, but current setups prevent it. Instead, in the rear, I use a seatpost fender that keeps water from being thrown on my back. In the front, there aren't any clip ons low enough to keep spray off my feet, so I pack dry socks. If you want to switch to 28cc tires, you can zip tie your fenders over a layer of tape/innertube around the fork legs and seatstays.

·
N. Hollywood, CA
754 Posts
lights - keep it simple

How much light do you need? For a couple years I've been using a Niterider Trail Rat, which cost about $80. The battery is small enough to strap under the top tube near the pump peg, or stuff in a jersey pocket. I think it lasts for maybe 4 hours, which is more than sufficient for most commuters. There may be another model with a water bottle style battery.

I'm switching over to a SON dynohub on my commuter. Once you try it, you'll never go back to batteries. As long as you pedal, you'll always have light. So simple...

·
Registered
152 Posts
Janis Set-up

I have a Janis Crossbike I use as well and for over a year I used my cross tires with 35mm width and Zefal (a german brand available in america, i am in germany) fenders full coverage rear and front. a real beatch to mount as well. there was very very little clearance and now i have switched to panaracer touring tires and they work very well. they are also 32mm.

·
Registered
46 Posts
ispoke said:
How much light do you need? For a couple years I've been using a Niterider Trail Rat, which cost about $80. The battery is small enough to strap under the top tube near the pump peg, or stuff in a jersey pocket. I think it lasts for maybe 4 hours, which is more than sufficient for most commuters. There may be another model with a water bottle style battery.

I'm switching over to a SON dynohub on my commuter. Once you try it, you'll never go back to batteries. As long as you pedal, you'll always have light. So simple...
I use a Light and Motion Solo headlight, with a Cateye LED flasher as a backup. I would not want a light that turned off when I am stopped, because a lot of my commute is through busy intersections, and I still want to be seen when I am stopped waiting for a signal to change, or in the left turn only lane. I also ride with two independent tail lights so I am not stuck without one if batteries or bulb fails. My commute is 12 miles each way, and I take my visibility seriously.

Kevin

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Picked up a seatpost fender and front mud guard.

For lights, the solo and rat are good recs, don't think I'd need more than that. It's just that the cateye is only barely enough.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts