Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm thinking of buying these shoes but there are some issues I need to clear up first. MOst is a Pinarello brand, but I can’t find any reviews so any advice you can offer will be very much appreciated.

1) The surfaces of most (not MOst) carbon soles have a rough patch where the cleats go to prevent cleat slippage but the Panther's soles are completely smooth. Does anyone own smooth carbon soled shoes? Do you have any problems with cleat slippage?

2) I’m sure I can eliminate any risk of cleat slippage by tightening the cleat screws real tight, but with many carbon components (seatposts, handlebars etc.) over-tightening is very dangerous. Does this apply to carbon soles?

3) Last question...does anyone know where to get the small screws for the memory tab on the Look KeO cleats? The shoes don’t come with them, nor do the cleats or pedals.

· Registered
167 Posts
#1- I've read other threads about cleats slipping. I don't remember the cures. #2- Over tightening is always bad. Cleat screws are what? 5MM? I would not go over the std. torque value for that stud dia. I think that the threads would pull out well before you could damage the soles. #3- no idea. Anyone else out there?

· Registered
172 Posts
#1: Never had any issues with carbon soles. I've ridden Sidi and Shimano carbon shoes.
#2: No. Do not over tighten. Bad idea. You can use carbon caulk though.
#3: Now that you mention it... no. I'm sure your LBS might have them to loan, if you're tight.

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't think of searching for other threads on cleat slippage. There's heaps, with lots of advice too. The store selling the shoes didn't know about the memory tab and its screw but it's not a big problem.

Thanks for your help guys. I think it has cleared up the worst of my concerns.

· Registered
8,116 Posts
I have some Nikes that are all smooth--- never had a problem with slippage. Never even thought about it. I prefer my non-carbon Sidis for fit and comfort, however-

I don't think you can really overtighten a carbon sole in the same way you can overtighten a "hollow" carbon part, like a bar or seatpost.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.