Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I lock my commuter bike (1980 Panasonic) with a heavy chain in the locked storage room of my apartment building in Manhattan. Our building is full of pensioners and young professionals, and you actually have to sign a contract with building management and obtain a special key to get in the storage room--so I always assumed it was pretty safe.

This morning I came into the room to find that my front wheel had been stolen and replaced with an old wheel with a flat tire. AARRGGHH!

I had locked my bike next to two bikes that were locked together: an ancient road bike and a newer hybrid. Well, today the hybrid was gone and the ancient road bike has only one wheel. This leads me to think that the owner of the hybrid took my wheel, replaced it with an old wheel from the road bike, and rode away on his hybrid.

I also assume that whoever took my wheel has a key to the room. If it is not a resident, it is a maintenance guy.

I don't have all day to case the storage room and wait for the thief to come back. But I have a feeling il bastardo is right under my nose. Any advice (other than always lock everything in NYC)? TIA.

·
Back from the dead
20,800 Posts
If your wheel shows up again as if nothing happened, figure the hybrid guy took it. Go buy a chain and padlock, use it lock his bike and wheels up to something, then toss the key into the Hudson River. Maybe he'll get the message.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
deadlegs said:
The one that moved away took it!
i agree. Contact management and ask if someone recently moved out and returned the bike locker key.

Hopefully they will be accomodating. If you get his new info BS him a little. Let him know they have video of him taking it and you just want your wheel back.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Sorry, can't help, but thanks

I'll be sure to lock up my commuters front wheel tonight. I usually just lock the back wheel to the frame and trust that its ugly enough to deter theft. There is a shiny new (never ridden?) Huffy right next to mine with no lock at all. But a thief with any bike knowledge would know at a glance that my components are better than the Huffy's. My your loss be our gain. :) Just kidding, hope you get your wheel back.

·
Registered
491 Posts
The person might've moved out. If not, and these problems persist, you can use ultraviolet tracking powder. Just dust the door knob, the floor inside the room, and anything else the perp might come into contact with. Then use a blacklight to see where he or she goes.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
Squint said:
The person might've moved out. If not, and these problems persist, you can use ultraviolet tracking powder. Just dust the door knob, the floor inside the room, and anything else the perp might come into contact with. Then use a blacklight to see where he or she goes.
Great idea. That's what we use at school to determine which lil' angel pulled the fire alarm.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.