Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going through list of options on 105 purchase:

Will a Shimano 11sp short cage RD fit a 11-28 cassette?

They're out of Band-On FD's - can I just get the Braze-on and get a clamp later? - Is Band-on just a braze-on with a clamp included?

They say the new ST5800 brakes can clear 28mm tires? Yes?

Thanks!

·
Los Barriles, BCS, Mexico
1,456 Posts
Going through list of options on 105 purchase:

Will a Shimano 11sp short cage RD fit a 11-28 cassette?

They're out of Band-On FD's - can I just get the Braze-on and get a clamp later? - Is Band-on just a braze-on with a clamp included?

They say the new ST5800 brakes can clear 28mm tires? Yes?

Thanks!
Yes, yes (though you'll need to get a clamp to attach the derailleur) and yes.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,452 Posts
Yes to all but......

How old is the bike? What make and model? What is the reach of your old vs. new brakes? If the old brakes have a reach no longer than 57mm, the new ones will fit.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes to all but......

How old is the bike? What make and model? What is the reach of your old vs. new brakes? If the old brakes have a reach no longer than 57mm, the new ones will fit.
Bike is 2014 Soma ES => I've got some Tektro R539s on there now + 28 Conti 4 Seasons...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Go somewhere else or order your own then. Yes you could do what you suggest but there's no need to so just do it right.
? I'm ordering cheap as part of a set - they're out of band on FDs so I'll just get the braze on and get a clamp later - still way cheaper than parting it out...

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,452 Posts
Bike is 2014 Soma ES => I've got some Tektro R539s on there now + 28 Conti 4 Seasons...
Get out your ruler and measure the distance from the mount to where the brake pad is. If 57mm or shorter, the 5800s will work. If longer, then NG.

Tire width will not be an issue. Reach is what I am concerned about.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.