Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I just had surgery on my ankle, so I'm the support matron for my 2 brothers first road tour. They want to go from Bend, Oregon to Quincy, WA, the site of a music festival at The Gorge.

So, have any of you played around up there? Any advice on routes? Is highway 97 bike friendly at all? It seems to be the straightest route, but if they are getting blown off the roadway by logging trucks at 70mph they're not going to have any fun.

Also, they are doing the trip in a couple weeks...what sort of weather conditions should they expect - they plan on picking up food and roughing it/camping along the route.

Thanks!!
Michael
Oakland, CA

· Registered
156 Posts
Yikes. Sections of 97 can be pretty hairy, up and over rolling hills, semi-obstructed corners, and rural enough that the cars really haul ass. I bet with a bit of research one could dig up some side roads but you'd end up on 97 a bunch anyways.

Weather this time of year should be pretty nice, most of the inclement weather stops at the Cascade crest. If it's clear, you'll have warm dry days and cold nights.

Sounds like a fun trip with a little time with the map. The Gorge is a great place to see a show.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.