Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new to this forum and would love to start road biking for health purposes. I am currently looking at this bike off kijiji, and am wondering if anyone could give me advice on how well this bike may function.

Santini Giro CX - Columbus tubing - Kitchener / Waterloo Bikes For Sale - Kijiji Kitchener / Waterloo Canada.

Because I am still a university student, I would like to keep the budget low hence why I am looking to buy used. Would like to hear from others to see if this would be a good deal.

Thanks!

-Chris

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Hi, I am new to this forum and would love to start road biking for health purposes. I am currently looking at this bike off kijiji, and am wondering if anyone could give me advice on how well this bike may function.

Santini Giro CX - Columbus tubing - Kitchener / Waterloo Bikes For Sale - Kijiji Kitchener / Waterloo Canada.

Because I am still a university student, I would like to keep the budget low hence why I am looking to buy used. Would like to hear from others to see if this would be a good deal.

Thanks!

-Chris
IMO, you have several options available to you. You can find someone who's knowledgeable about bicycles to accompany you when you go to test ride this bicycle. This person can then assess both the mechanics and the structural integrity of the bicycle for you, both before and after the test ride. They should also be able to inform you as to whether the frame size is appropriate for you. Of course, nobody should know more about your own comfort level on a bicycle, than yourself. Alternatively, you could forget about purchasing a used road bike altogether, and get a brand new hybrid bicycle. There are many choices of new hybrids available from the major bicycle companies that would suit your needs at that price point. I don't know why, but for some reason, drop handlebars attached to a bicycle usually raises the price by at least a hundred dollars or more. I recommend the Giant Escape, the Jamis Coda, or the Jamis Allegro for new hybrids. Otherwise, if your terrain is mostly flat with no really challenging hills, you can opt to purchase a single speed bicycle. Since single speeds are relatively simple in construction compared to their multi-speed counterparts, they're usually less expensive too. You can even find a few within your budget that also have drop handlebars. Single speeds also require less maintenance. For single speeds, I would recommend the Fuji Declaration, the Fuji Track Classic, the Trek Earl, or the Schwinn Madison. As a college student, I'm most certain that your time and money are most valuable to you. As such, a purchase from a local bicycle shop would guarantee you a warranty, a good fit, and any needed mechanical assistance at the point of sale.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
IMO, you have several options available to you. You can find someone who's knowledgeable about bicycles to accompany you when you go to test ride this bicycle. This person can then assess the mechanics and the structural integrity of the bicycle for you, both before and after the test ride. They should also be able to inform you as to whether the frame size is appropriate for you. Of course, nobody should know more about your own comfort level on a bicycle, then yourself. Alternatively, you could forget about purchasing a used road bike altogether, and get a brand new hybrid bicycle. There are many choices of new hybrids available from the major bicycle companies that would suit your needs at that price point. I don't know why, but for some reason, drop handlebars attached to a bicycle usually raises the price by at least a hundred dollars or more. I recommend the Giant Escape, the Jamis Coda, or the Jamis Allegro for new hybrids. Otherwise, if your terrain is mostly flat with no really challenging hills, you can opt to purchase a single speed bicycle. Since single speeds are relatively simple in construction compared to their multi-speed counterparts, they're usually less expensive too. You can even find a few within your budget that also have drop handlebars. Single speeds also require less maintenance. For single speeds, I would recommend the Fuji Declaration, the Fuji Track Classic, the Trek Earl, or the Schwinn Madison.
Otherwise, concerning the Santini Giro CX more specifically, just checkout the following thread: http://forums.roadbikereview.com/retro-classic/santini-giro-cx-151462.html

·
Registered
155 Posts
From a collector's perspective, this bike is overpriced by two hundred buck (it really wouldn't be of much interest to a collector though) but it's certainly well worth checking out, especially to confirm the quality/condition of the wheelset. Another significant upgrade is the nine speed drivetrain. Even at six hundred bucks, it could be good value as a starter bike and then as a commuter. Don't expect to recuperate much of the cost if you intend to resell in a couple of years.

Also, if the seller is a local mechanic he ought to be willing to provide followup servicing on it; if he isn't I'd walk away. He comes off as prickly in his ad, so I'd also recommend bringing someone along who could do a proper inspection if he's not selling through his shop. On second thought, if you have any indication that he isn't a mechanic, look elsewhere.

Good luck, used bike buying when you're not sure about what you're looking for is no joy.

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
The ad specifically says the bike is not for riding on campus!

It's okay but you can do better, especially for $600. Sport Chek has a sale on, at least they'd give you a warranty and tune ups.

Fresh "thick" paint and no decals on an older bike often hides evidence of a crash. The seller sounds like he's full of BS, to be honest. This is some generic bike, not a Cinelli or De Rosa.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.