Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!... I'm a wannabe triathlete lol...I've been a half-marathonist for the past 3 years..but now I'm running my first sprint triathlon in late september here in Mexico, and I plan to keep on participating for now on more triathlons.. so I'm about to get a triathlon bike...I've been looking around stores in my city..and I've found two bikes to choose from.. both are of the same brand "Alubike"... a mexican aluminium-bikes manufacturer... I wanted to get a better one (aka. a well-known brand as Cannondale,Orbea, Felt) but here are either very expensive (About 50% over the USA price) for a beginner like me.... or the stock/models are very limited...well, about the alubikes.... one model is older than the other, but are equipped quite differently...here I add a little description and image of both! (I translated all the parts into english.. hopefully I did it right):

ALUBIKE TSUNAMI (PRICE $830 USD APROX)
Frame: Aluminium 7000 series
Fork: Aluminium 7000 with chromology
Tires : Hutchinson Nitro
Wheels/Rims: Mavic CXP 22
Shifters : Microshift 9 speed
Rear Derailleur: SHIMANO RD-3400-SS9 SORA
Front Derailleur: Microshift
Brake levers: Microshift
Handlebars : FSA OMEGA
Saddle : San Marco Ponza
Seat Post : Dragonfly

https://www.alubike.com.mx/catalogo2009/index.html

ALUBIKE VENTO (PRICE $677 USD APROX)

Frame: Aluminium
Fork: Aluminium
Tires : Kenda Kontender
Wheels/Rims: ALEX CROSTINI 700C, 32H
Shifters : Diatech Bar End R-9/L-2 18 speed
Rear Derailleur: SHIMANO RD-3400-SS9 SORA
Front Derailleur: SHIMANO FD-2200
Crankset : FSA Vero CK-400
HUB REAR: ROAD SHIMANO 2200 32H BLACK
Brake levers: Tektro RX 4.1
Brakes Caliper : Shimano Sora BR-3400
Handlebars : FSA OMEGA
Saddle : Selle Velo for Triathlon with gel
Seat Post : Dragonfly

https://www.alubike.com.mx/catalogo2008/index.html

The VENTO is a little cheaper because is a 2008 model, but it has bar-end shift levers... which seems to be nice.. but. the frame looks differently built....and I have no idea about the other things... rims, derailleurs, shifters???.. etc...mm, so... what do you think?! which one would you prefer? thank you very very much in advance!!!

JACOB

·
Registered
154 Posts
I think you'd be better off with a new Specialized Allez Sport or a better used Specialized, Cannondale, Trek, Felt etc.... road bike and put some clip on bars on it than either of these decidedly low spec Kestrel knockoffs.

Gene

·
Registered
7,438 Posts
Those bikes are both rather odd-

The first one looks more like a Tri-bike, but uses STI shifters. The second one looks like a road bike but uses bar-end shifters.

Any possibility of importing something?

·
n00b
16 Posts
It seems like you would be much more committed to riding in aero position while on the 2nd one, with the bar-end shifters...? If the bike was solely for closed-course races or training runs in wide-open spaces, I can understand that, but there's no way I could stay aero all the time riding around in my suburban neighborhood...or is it no big deal to bar-end-shift even if you're spending a lot of time on the drops?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts