Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So far, what I've been reading on the Neuvation M28 Aero wheelset has been pretty favorable. I'm presently on Mavic Open Pros with Ultegra hubs - bombproof wheels having stayed true for close to 6 years. But they're getting a lot miles on them and I'm thinking it's time for a new wheelset. Probably should go with another set of OP's, but the Neuvations look like a pretty good deal pricewise and like I said, seem to be getting some good reviews. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
I haven't tried them, but having more spokes reduces the cyclic loading and and improves the fatigue life... ideally a stiff rim and a lot of light butted spokes would be best in that respect. So... Neuvations are generally durable enough to last awhile, but don't expect them to last as long as your OPs. Also if (when) you pop a spoke, you'll probably be walking...

Titans are on sale at Performance right now ~$150... as far as I can tell, they are identical.

·
$4000 bike - two bit legs
1,433 Posts
I have Neuvations and OP's

Like yours, my OP's have lasted for about 6-7 years. They were my primary wheels for the first two years of their life, now the secondary set on my secondary bike. The Neuvations are great wheels - though I only have about 1000 miles on them. You can't beat the price, the weight, the performance or the service. Like the other poster said: low spoke count, super light weight wheels are not meant to last as long as 32 spoke, bombproof OP's. I figure that if I get 10-12,000 miles out of a super light weight wheelset, I'm doing well. I weigh in at 185-190 so I'm hard on wheels. For that reason, I just bought a pair of Campy Vento wheels from 11speed.com for $147 to use everyday. I will save the Neuvations for my long Sunday ride, the occasional competition, and my trip to the mountains of Colorado. When I bought my Neuvations the end of last summer, I compared them to every boutique wheel on the market. The reviews were so good and the price so low, I couldn't turn them down. Go for it...you won't be dissappointed. Call John Neugent and just talk to him a while. He'll tell you straight.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a new pair of the old style M 28s, with traditional spokes rather than bladed spokes. So far they are great riding wheels. They do well climbing & seem to be quite stiff & sure tracking downing hill on curvy moutnain roads. I generally weigh in at 200 lbs, a friend of mine ( 190 lbs) has been riding the newer bladed M 28s for about a year with no problems.

The old style M 28s are on sell on the neuvation web site for $239.00 until they are gone.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I have a set of the old blade spoke M 28 Aero's with about 5000 miles and my LBS says I should keep them as a back up set for CX. After about a 1000 miles the spokes started coming loose which would tweak the wheel real bad! Last year on the Death ride I had 2 spokes come loose. I had a LBS retension the wheels but I had ridden to far on real outta whack wheels. Then I started breaking spokes 1st on the front then on the rear. My suggestion is if you go with them get them retensioned right outta the box.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts