Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have decided to buy a road bike. After researching entry level models (around my budget of some AUD1000 (approx US$750; I live in Australia) from most manufacturers, including Trek 1000, Giant OCR 3, Specialized Triple Sport, and Lemonde etape, i was put off by the amount of complaints regarding the components on those entry level bikes, and how much it cost people to get them replaced by more reliable ones.

Some of the main components that weere most complained about include all Shimano Tiagra (and to a lesser extent Shimano 105) shifter, derailleurs etc... Bontraiger Select and many other entry level Wheelsets, tyres etc.... and saddles which is really not a big problem for me.

After reading all these complaints i considered doubling my budget and going for either a Giant OCR 1 or 2, a Lemond Touramlet, Specialized Transition Multi Sport 2006, Giant TCR Aero 2 2006.

as a recreational cyclist, but moderately fit person who is likely to cycle a fair bit once I have my Bike, My 3 questions are:
1- am I being too paranoid about those parts on the entry level models?
2- By doubling my budget am i getting good value? (is it worth it or should i wait till the components on an entry level bike break down and then get them replaced with better ones? an important question here is are the entry level frames worth upgrading???)
3- is it cheaper/better to buy a resonably good frame separately, and get it fitted with say Shimano Ultegra components and good wheelset and tyres (i have no clue which are good though)??

I hope that you would be ale to assist me as i am so kken of getting on the road but am being put off by this behemoth of technical issues.

Many thanks
Regards
F

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts
Don't worry

fouadaswad said:
Hi

I have decided to buy a road bike. After researching entry level models (around my budget of some AUD1000 (approx US$750; I live in Australia) from most manufacturers, including Trek 1000, Giant OCR 3, Specialized Triple Sport, and Lemonde etape, i was put off by the amount of complaints regarding the components on those entry level bikes, and how much it cost people to get them replaced by more reliable ones.

Some of the main components that weere most complained about include all Shimano Tiagra (and to a lesser extent Shimano 105) shifter, derailleurs etc... Bontraiger Select and many other entry level Wheelsets, tyres etc.... and saddles which is really not a big problem for me.

After reading all these complaints i considered doubling my budget and going for either a Giant OCR 1 or 2, a Lemond Touramlet, Specialized Transition Multi Sport 2006, Giant TCR Aero 2 2006.

as a recreational cyclist, but moderately fit person who is likely to cycle a fair bit once I have my Bike, My 3 questions are:
2- By doubling my budget am i getting good value? (is it worth it or should i wait till the components on an entry level bike break down and then get them replaced with better ones? an important question here is are the entry level frames worth upgrading???)
3- is it cheaper/better to buy a resonably good frame separately, and get it fitted with say Shimano Ultegra components and good wheelset and tyres (i have no clue which are good though)??

I hope that you would be ale to assist me as i am so kken of getting on the road but am being put off by this behemoth of technical issues.

Many thanks
Regards
F

It's true that Sora/Tiagra components aren't great, BUT, they are functional and until you know how much you will ride and that you will continue using it, save your money and use the lower component packages, I recently upgraded my components to 105, which despite what anyone tells you, are decent and not too terribly expensive. Unless you are riding competitively, have a lot of money to spend, are a complete gearhead, or know that you will be riding A LOT for many years, don't spend the money on Ultegra/Dura Ace. As a beginning cyclist you won't be able to really appreciate the difference, and you'll just be spending extra money, for my .02 cents anyway. I would stick with lower components, save your money, make sure to get fitted properly, and then worry about the upgrade later.
BTW, most cyclists are complete gearheads, and love to argue about components.......look up some of the threads re: shimano v campy......and you will see. Good luck with your decision, and remember to pee downwind.

·
Registered
22 Posts
fouadaswad said:
Hi

Many thanks
Regards
F
There is no need yet to spend a lot of money on high end components. The bikes you listed are all good entry level bikes.
Before you spend a lot of money, see how much you are going to ride. You can always upgrade later. If you get hooked like many people do, then think about a higher end bike.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re

Thanks Mates. i think thats just what i will do. Really needed to hear that from more experienced riders.

Cheers

·
Registered
1 Posts
fouadaswad said:
Thanks Mates. i think thats just what i will do. Really needed to hear that from more experienced riders.

Cheers
Before you make the jump, you may want to find a shop that sells Bianchi bikes. Very well made and you can get a smooth-riding steel framed Eros with Campagnolo Mirage components for less than $1000 if you look around or get the 2005 model.

That's exactlly what I've done and I'm absolutely loving the bike.

Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts