Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My spoke broke on my Rolf Vector Pro's (Trek 5200, Shimano Ultegra)
I am 170lbs, and ride on all terrain, hills, flats, etc.
Looking for a durable,light all around wheelset.

Because the parts are hard to find on the Vector Pro's, I would like to make them my backup and purchase a new set of wheels which are comparable in performance.

Would appreciate any advice.
LBS tried selling me the Mavic Kysrium Elites. (499)
I have read so-so reviews on this wheel set.
Also see the Mavic SSL which are more money and lighter.

LBS does not carry Bontrager. Any advice on them. (Race X(X) Lites)

Thanks

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
There are plenty of reviews here on all the wheels you mentioned. What you won't find are reviews on custom built wheels from hubs, spokes, and rims because there are too many variations... but that would be your best bet. If you get a good builder, you can have lighter, more aero, more durable, easier to repair... and cheaper... all at once.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mavic Ksyrium SL vs Bontrager Race XXX Lite

After doing more research, the best price for the Mavic Ksyrium Elite is 499.
The Mavic Ksyrium SL is 850 at the LBS. I am guessing the Bontrager Race XXX Lite are similar in price.

How about other wheelsets ? I am looking for light, durable, long lasting if I am going to pay that kind of money. Any other suggestions which I could look into ?

Thanks

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
What's really nice about the Bontrager Race X Lite wheelset is that it's easy to change out spokes. In fact, all you have to do is wait for the rear drive side hub flange to disintegrate because of it's kack design, and voila: you've at least two spokes that are ready to be removed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts