Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Molto bene
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been riding about a year now on this set of cheap Shimano wheels and I've upgraded most everything on the bike except the wheels. I'm thinking it is time to find some new wheels for my ride. I really don't like the way these wheels look on my bike. It's a custom built Italian bike from a place in NE Italy where I live.

I'm trying to stay around the $500 price point or less. Something black to go with the colors of the bike. I'm not a weight wienie, I can't be when I'm 6'4" and 220lbs. I'm don't really know much about wheels. Suggestions?

·
Registered
4 Posts
i'd suggest mavic aksium. they are a nice looking wheelset, almost look like ksyriums. they are very strong wheels too, I am 6 foot 250 lbs and i have about 500 miles on them, they have held up very well.

good luck

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
There was a thread a couple days ago where a guy had a line on some Easton EA90SL wheels for $450. They have been great for me and I am a bigger guy (195-205# depending on time of year)

·
Molto bene
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just watched a set of those Easton EA90SL wheels with cassette go for $310 on eBay.

·
I like wheels
3 Posts
You'll probably have a hard time finding the Easton EA90SL's at $500 or less except maybe on ebay.

Here are a few suggestions worth looking into at sub $500 prices.
Easton EA70
Campagnolo Scirocco
Mavic Cosmic Elite
Mavic Ksyrium Equipe
Shimano WH-RS30

·
More Miles...
289 Posts
I'm in the same market and I've been doing some research . ROL Volant , American Classic Victory 30 , Reynolds Solitude , Williams 30x , just to name a few . I have yet to pull the trigger on any of them . Good luck my friend .

·
Molto bene
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm deployed in Afghanistan right now and have got a bad case of upgrade fever. Can't ride so all I want to do is shop for new shiny parts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
well.; Since your bike is black and yellow you might look into some mavic wheels. usually fairly good value and quality.; I love my ksyrium elite set.

cheers,

Wassler

·
Registered
701 Posts
Doba said:
So I've been riding about a year now on this set of cheap Shimano wheels and I've upgraded most everything on the bike except the wheels. I'm thinking it is time to find some new wheels for my ride. I really don't like the way these wheels look on my bike. It's a custom built Italian bike from a place in NE Italy where I live.

I'm trying to stay around the $500 price point or less. Something black to go with the colors of the bike. I'm not a weight wienie, I can't be when I'm 6'4" and 220lbs. I'm don't really know much about wheels. Suggestions?

Nice! You have a Slooping Salvador (I had to cover the extra 'O'), that's what I ride. Got fitted while I was stationed there in 2001-2004. I love mine. Anyways, I just bought some new rims myself. I went with Revolution Wheelworks. It was between them and ROLS.

P.S.
Have you climbed Piancavallo yet?

·
Molto bene
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Haven't gone for the whole climb yet, but I've made plenty of trips up to the chrome dome. I'm going to make the trip up the mountain on my R&R.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts