Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I've recently started wrenching on an old jeunet that I found in the garbage, and am nearing completion of restoring everything so I can have a decent commuter bike. Now when I went to replace the pedals, what I naively thought at the time to be the easiest part, I stripped the threads using standard sized pedals (who knew that old french bikes used a different thread size).

As far as I can tell I have two options, attempt to find a new drive train to replace the old one (since apparantly you can't just take off the right crank arm), or, find a welder to weld the pedal in place.

Just curious if you guys have any input on how I should go about this, or if you have any easier solutions.

Cheers

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
Is it possible to use a tap and chase the threads? Maybe drill it a size or two larger and use some kind of threaded sleeve? If neither of those works, I'd suggest a new crank. I'm assuming the one you have is steel. You can probably find an inexpensive alloy crank for little money on Ebay.

If it were my bike I wouldn't have the pedal welded on. A small tip over & you could be out the pedal & the crank.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The problem is, (I believe) finding a new crank that fits inside the bottom bracket will be a pain I think. I tried swapping one out of an early 80s raleigh I found at my school's bike centre and it was too small to fit on. The pedals aren't nice clipless ones or anything, they're also cheapies. Like I said, it's a commuter bike I INTENDED on rebuilding for extremely cheap.

·
Roadbike Rider
1,293 Posts
French Bikes are like woman

Unless you really love them many French Bikes are not worth the hassle. Having said that I wish I still had my Peugeot PX10.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.