Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two different bikes, a mountain and a road (the mouontain bike has a smaller frame and far less reach), each has their own seat post and seat. One thing I notice on both bikes is I tend to slip forward and end up having to scooch back on the seat a lot. I've moved the seats forward and back on the post and it makes a little difference. But my local lbs suggested I tip the nose up on the seat a little to see if that helps. Problem is, I can get the post adjustment head to tip the nose way downward but can't get it to go beyond level trying to tip it upward.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a road seat post that will adjust further in the nose up direction?

Thank-you.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
... are the bikes properly sized for you?

It might be as simple as finding a post with a different offset/fore/aft adjustability (and tilt)... or might be an indication of sizing issues which could get... 'xpensive.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can get a pic when I get home this evening. I have tried everything to get this to nose up and just can't get it. I also tried looking up what the brand was but all the Giant website says about the post is that it is composite. The post on my mountain bike is also no name POS aluminum.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
it looks like a pretty standard single bolt attachement.
Is the post facing the proper way with the bolt to the back of the saddle as pictured?
if not, that might limit it's ability to adjust upward.

those typically have a ton up upward adjustment. You might have to wiggle it a bit after loosening the bolt.

Have the shop that sold you the bike look at it. Let them know your fit problem.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep the bolt is in the back. I can get the seat to tilt up when the bolt is loose but when I tighten it, it starts tipping down again. Like I said, the best I can get out of it is level. I can try taking it to my local LBS. I just was hoping there might be an easier fix on my own.

·
Registered
188 Posts
a single bolt seat clamp is an extremely simple mechanism. there are really only 3 parts. the post itself that goes under your seat rails, the part that clamps above your seat rails and the bolt that holds it all together. The 2 parts that compress around the seat rails should be able to tilt and lock into notches on the post itself. if you can't lock it in an upward position, there maybe something wrong with either your technical abilities or the post itself. Play with it some more before you take it to the shop and suffer extreme emberassment when a 14 yr old kid adjusts your post for you.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats the weird part. there are no "notches" on this seat post like on my mountain bike.There are just the the two plates that compress and then the bolt can pivot forward and back on an arch. I've tried moving the pivot point both ways and locking them down and still can only get level or way forward tilt on the thing. And yeah I guess one of the reasons I'm asking on here is because I don't want the embarrassment of the 14 year old kid making me look stupid. :)

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
Is it possible something's assembled backwards? Maybe try disassembling the whole thing (bolt out completely), and reversing either the lower half of the clamp, or both upper and lower, and see if that changes the available range of motion.

And superflychief, a seat clamp is a simple mechanism, but there are commonly 5 parts, not 3: the post itself, with a cradle machined into its top, upper and lower parts of the clamp, the bolt and the moveable nut the bolt threads into.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll take another look at it for the bizziolth time when I get home this afternoon. And actually the parts on this post are the post itself which has the base part of the head, a top clamp and I think two bolts one fore and one aft. The thing that puzzles me is where there should be a moveable cradle to adjust there is not, the cradle is molded into the base and does not move or adjust. Well, without it here right in front of me, I'd better stop trying to describe by memory. If I cannot get any more adjustment out of this puppy, seriously anyone got any ideas on a replacement?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I knew I shouldn't try and remember how the post is set-up. I came home and took it all apart again and there are 4 pieces. The post itself, the bottom, ridged part, the top camp and a bolt. I tried putting it back toegther as many ways as possible turning pieces around etc. and finally got a minor upswing to the front of the seat. The bolt underneath and the hole it's in seems to make getting any more of an upward angle impossible. But hopefully this will be enough. I don't want to end up sliding off the back of the seat either! :)
Thanks for all the input, but I think I'm at the end of this posts capabilities in that direction.

·
RoadBikeRider
1,053 Posts
I am not real clear after reading your last two posts (about posts) In one of them you say it is a 2 bolt clamp. If it is a 2 bolt design with one bolt forward and one aft then you need to loosen the forward one if you want it to tilt nose up. Loosen the forward bolt a little and tighten the rear one until you get it where you want it, then snug them both up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.