Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

We are going to be in the French Pyrenees this summer exactly when the Tour comes by and we want to see one of the stages. We are targeting Stage 12, on the final climb to Col de Peyresourde.

We won't be able to ride up there (wife's pregnant) so we'll take a car, and will probably settle at the beginning of the climb.

I'm attaching a map showing where the race comes from (top right) and where we'll be coming from (bottom center): https://i.imgur.com/fLfsari.jpg .We will be hiking in the area of Oô and our car will already be parked there and waiting for us on the day of the stage.

Do you know how early they are likely to close the road leading from Oô to the main tour road? Will we be able to find parking near the main road, if we arrive around noon? Will they at least let me drive towards there to drop off my wife and I'll go back to finding a parking place further away? How long will it take us to get off the main road and down to Luchon once the whole races comes through?

Any advice and tips you can share will be much appreciated!

Cheers

·
Registered
103 Posts
Do you know how early they are likely to close the road leading from Oô to the main tour road? Will we be able to find parking near the main road, if we arrive around noon? Will they at least let me drive towards there to drop off my wife and I'll go back to finding a parking place further away? How long will it take us to get off the main road and down to Luchon once the whole races comes through?
Since you aren't trying to get in/out of the finish town proper or get on the top of the climb I wouldn't expect you to have a difficult time. They'll likely close the route first thing in the morning and won't be letting anyone travel on D618, but the road from Oô will likely be left open fairly close to where it intersects. Unless the town has some festivities planned and they probably won't have much.

No idea on parking, that will depend on the crowd. In my experience unless you are trying to get to a popular spot, finding a place to park along the route has never been hard.

You won't be able to convince the gendarmerie to let you through any road closures without credentials, but I don't expect you will need to.

Time back to Oô again depends on the crowd but you won't be dealing with traffic out of the finish town. That and the tops of climbs are where the really big vehicle crowds come from, and from the looks of your map they'll be on other routes.

The caveat is that I don't believe I've ever been to that particular spot during the race, and most of the times I have been right on the course I've had credentials to drive on the route to get places.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Handbrake I really appreciate your detailed and thought-out reply. After most people have been telling us we should settle a week in advance or wake up at 4 AM to get a good spot, it's encouraging to hear a different opinion.

After the race we actually need to drive down to Bagnères-de-Luchon, not go back to Oô; I'm afraid that would probably be less fun, but I guess we'll just have to brave it... if that would be the worst part of the day, I'll be happy.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Handbrake I really appreciate your detailed and thought-out reply. After most people have been telling us we should settle a week in advance or wake up at 4 AM to get a good spot, it's encouraging to hear a different opinion.
If you were trying to get a spot near the top of the climb I'd suggest getting up at 4 AM. If you were trying for a spot AT the top, or on Alpe d'Huez, Tourmalet, Ventoux, etc...one of the more famous HC climbs I'd say get out there a week in advance.

But near the start of the Peyresourde I don't see it being hard to find a spot on the road.

Getting to Luchon shouldn't be a problem traffic wise, though I don't know how quickly they open the route back up after all of the race traffic comes through.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts