Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm moving from a hybrid to a road bike and wondering what size tire will suit me best for the riding I do: 25 to 50 mile rides on mostly paved roads (maybe 8 to 10% hard packed dirt roads), with a wide range of quality (typical for rural upstate NY). I'd like to keep up on club rides, but I also want adequate stability on the poorer surfaces. I'd really appreciate your advice.

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Weight?

sjdittman said:
I'm moving from a hybrid to a road bike and wondering what size tire will suit me best for the riding I do: 25 to 50 mile rides on mostly paved roads (maybe 8 to 10% hard packed dirt roads), with a wide range of quality (typical for rural upstate NY). I'd like to keep up on club rides, but I also want adequate stability on the poorer surfaces. I'd really appreciate your advice.
The key question is how much you weigh. If you're a lightweight, then 23s will be fine. If you weigh over 200, then you might want 28s or whatever will fit in your frame. Your riding style will determine this as well - some people are careful and therefore can ride narrower tires.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Kerry. I'm 135 lbs. My main concern is how I'll do on those hardpacked dirt roads, or roads with no shoulder. Does the width of the tire make a significant difference to stability?...enough to sacrifice in road resistance?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.