Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please forgive me if anyone has asked this question before but here it goes:

I am building a COLNAGO C40 HP and have a dilemma as to what grouppo to put on the bike. I have always been a Dura Ace kinda guy. Now I'm seriously thinking about RECORD. It just seems that an italian frame deserves an italian grouppo. So here's my question:

Are campy harder to install than Shimanos (I have built a couple shimano-equipped bikes before but never a campy) ?

(I am also looking for validation that Record will serve me well in th future and BTW I love the Campy look - much cleaner)

Many thanks in advance.

B

·
Registered
55 Posts
It would be a CRIME to build that bike up with anything but Record Components. Both of my road bikes are Campy equipped, one with Record, the other with Chorus. Compared to my XTR equipped mountain bike, Campy is FAR easier to both install and maintain. Once you're used to the differences between Campy and the "other company"...you'll realize completely why there IS a huge difference between the two companies. My buddies using D/A components are constantly fiddling and "adjusting" and monkeying with one thing or another...I find it absolutely hysterical. I'd guess the last time I made an adjustment to either of my road bikes was somewhere between 3,000 to 4,000 miles ago.
Good luck and have fun on the C40 HP!

·
Lizzie will ride free
3,156 Posts
Trick question, right?

It will work either way, but you really want to go Campy.

Nothing about it is harder to install, and I still have a couple record groups from the '70's so I suppose it holds together OK.

Try it, you'll like it.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,737 Posts
bsalami said:
Please forgive me if anyone has asked this question before but here it goes:

I am building a COLNAGO C40 HP and have a dilemma as to what grouppo to put on the bike. I have always been a Dura Ace kinda guy. Now I'm seriously thinking about RECORD. It just seems that an italian frame deserves an italian grouppo. So here's my question:

Are campy harder to install than Shimanos (I have built a couple shimano-equipped bikes before but never a campy) ?

(I am also looking for validation that Record will serve me well in th future and BTW I love the Campy look - much cleaner)

Many thanks in advance.

B
geez-of course you match EYE-talian with [email protected]

PS-no harder than shi()maNO, instead of confusing terminology of 'inner and outer guides/cables', you get safety warnings every few pages telling you that if you screw up it could kill you.

NTTAWWT

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all...

...for helping me make a decision. Record it is (or will be).
Investing in a couple additional tools (BB install) will be well worth it.

Will post a pic once it's built.

Many thanks

·
Registered
131 Posts
The only new tool you should need...

bsalami said:
...for helping me make a decision. Record it is (or will be).
Investing in a couple additional tools (BB install) will be well worth it.

Will post a pic once it's built.

Many thanks
... is the bottom bracket tool. It's the very same tool that will also remove the cassette lock ring. Toss in an 8mm wrench for the crank bolts, a regular pedal wrench, a Park 4-5-6 mm 3-way allen wrench, a pair of pliers, a cable cutter, chain whip and a small Phillips screwdriver, those should be just about all the tools you'll need. A torque wrench is nice but not indispensible. Campy will tell you that you need their bazillion dollar chain tool for their special chain. Use a Wipperman chain or a Connex link and avoid that hassle altogether.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DMoore said:
... is the bottom bracket tool. It's the very same tool that will also remove the cassette lock ring. Toss in an 8mm wrench for the crank bolts, a regular pedal wrench, a Park 4-5-6 mm 3-way allen wrench, a pair of pliers, a cable cutter, chain whip and a small Phillips screwdriver, those should be just about all the tools you'll need. A torque wrench is nice but not indispensible. Campy will tell you that you need their bazillion dollar chain tool for their special chain. Use a Wipperman chain or a Connex link and avoid that hassle altogether.
Thanks for the insight... most helpful advice.

I was thinking wipperman as well (I have a hard time paying over $ 100 for a chain tool)

Cheers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts