Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although I have a current model carbon bicycle running Shimano 10s, I still find myself going back to my Columbus TSX, Pinarello Gavia. The ride and responsiveness is just that good. I even recently removed the carbon SP that I had been using for several years, going back to the ferrous Campagnolo Chorus SP with the "sculpting". Perfect.

Now the one drawback is that I am still running Campagnolo Synchro 8s with downtube shifters. O.k. I get the advantage of the shift/brake levers, I have them on the new bicycle, still the quietness and smoothness of the Campy 8s with a nice SRAM PC870 chain is so good. Front and rear derailleurs are Chorus 8 and I have a really good wheelset with Chorus 9sp hubs but spaced for 8 with a Wheels spacer set. Then I have another set of Chorus 8sp sewup wheels and other 8sp winter wheels. I even run a 7sp Sachs FW on the rollers in the winter.

I am looking for suggestions regarding how to move on from the downtube shifters. I'm still more than fine with 8sp but wonder if I should try to find 9sp or 8sp Campagnolo Ergo shifters. It's just my backup training bike so I am not interested in upgrading the entire drivetrain. Also not sure if there are some Campy alternatives from Miche or others.

Thanks for your consideration and advice in advance.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
I checked eBay and there some decent looking lightly used Record/Chorus 8-spd shifters in the $130 - $200 range. Plus you'll need cables - $30.

I'm not sure you could do much else really. I'd stay away from 9-spd as there are 2 flavors of shifter over the short life of 9-spd.

When you get into the $200 level though, it's worth thinking of current Veloce 10-speed, which I have on a bike and like a lot for the price. Comes in silver so it won't look out of place. Cassette will fit a Chorus hub if it has ultra-drive splining. Cranks should be fine.

Ribble for example has Shifters w cables, FD, RD, cassette and chain for $241.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I think I will shop for the Campy 8sp shifters either used or NOS. If my other mount was Campagnolo rather than Shimano, I would go with a new drivetrain group.

I guess I will also need cable stops for the downtube bosses and new cables/housing. If I end up ever getting the Pinarello refinished, I can have bosses brazed to the head tube.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I see some NOS/NIB Athena 8sp ergopower shifters as well. Guess these too would work?

·
Schuylkill Trail Bum
5,142 Posts
I run NOS Campy 8 spd Chorus and Record on my bike. I was going to upgrade to 10 or 11, but the 8 is so buttery smooth and quiet, I can't make a case in my own mind to spend the money.

I suspect, as others have in this thread, that all you have to do is buy NOS 8 brifters and new cables. I recommend going with Chorus or Record. You'll probably need to braze on or clamp on some cable guides above where the downtube shifters are now.

My last campy 8 NOS-NIB purchase:

Best hundred bike-bucks I ever spent.

Cockpit (arrow points to bell, from another thread about bells):

Attachments

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Spike, I think I can use any downtube cable stop/adjuster. Probably hard to find Campy, but others are out there even lighter from third parties. thx

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
Assuming you have downtube bosses, then yes you'll need the stops like these

Product White Technology Circle Black-and-white

I don't know 100% whether Athena of that era was similar to Record/Chorus, although I'd be pretty sure.

I stopped buying Campy stuff on eBay a few years ago, but true NOS C Record parts were already a collectors item, and getting very high prices. If there was a part I actually wanted to use then I'd rather go with a lightly used minty/VGC part at about half the price.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One thing I will miss if I go ergo, the comfort of my current brake levers, Cane Creek SCR-5s.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
I see some NOS/NIB Athena 8sp ergopower shifters as well. Guess these too would work?
Yep, Athena would work the same as Record and Chorus. But there's one question that I don't know the answer to. Is the derailleur cable pull for the Synchro indexed downtube levers the same as the Ergo levers? I assume so, since I don't think Campy redesigned the derailleurs when Ergo was introduced (they did later when they went from 9 to 10 speeds, and then changed 9-speed to match, causing that 2-generation issue that Julio noted).

That's the one caveat I'd note, but someone here probably knows for sure. Assuming that's not a problem, the different gruppi are not an issue.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
Yep, Athena would work the same as Record and Chorus. But there's one question that I don't know the answer to. Is the derailleur cable pull for the Synchro indexed downtube levers the same as the Ergo levers? I assume so, since I don't think Campy redesigned the derailleurs when Ergo was introduced (they did later when they went from 9 to 10 speeds, and then changed 9-speed to match, causing that 2-generation issue that Julio noted).

That's the one caveat I'd note, but someone here probably knows for sure. Assuming that's not a problem, the different gruppi are not an issue.
Good point.

There was also a RD ratio and shifter pull change in the 7-8-speed era.

So our op needs to be sure that he has the 2nd generation Syncro2 shifters and a later C Record RD. If he has an early RD, then that needs to change too. Knowing the year of the bike and group would help., although if it was originally 8-speed then I think he's OK.

Syncro2 was a complete redesign and pulls more cable than Syncro. It is visually differentiated by a fatter spool and housing.

If one looks at 1993 for instance, Campy gave the option of Syncro2 or Ergo shifters, so they are obviously compatible.

Syncro was trying to be all things to all cassettes and chains with a whole variety of index rings available, and was messed up a lot by bad mechanics and then criticized for poor shifting. With Syncro2 Campy got it right, and my 7-speed bike with Syncro2 is about the best shifting there is. (Campy 7 and 8-speed sprockets have the same spacing).

Syncro2 Metal Grey Steel Silver Nickel

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
I knew somebody would know, and I thought it might be you, Julio.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks. My FD is Record but my RD is Chorus and I am pretty sure I have the synchro2 as I have the larger right shifter. It works as well with a 7sp SRAM freewheel with the low limit screw in as it does with 8sp Exadrive.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
Thanks. My FD is Record but my RD is Chorus and I am pretty sure I have the synchro2 as I have the larger right shifter. It works as well with a 7sp SRAM freewheel with the low limit screw in as it does with 8sp Exadrive.
Sounds like you'll be OK.

As I said, the 7 and 8-speed sprocket spacings are the same. Obviously then the 8-speed cluster is wider, and it was at this point in history that rear frame spacing went from 126 mm to 130 mm.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
Early 9 speed campy has the cable pull of 8 speed. Late has the pull of 9/10 speed. 9 speed cassettes won't fit the 8 speed body, unless you can change it.
PS. Very early 8 speed bodies and cassettes have equal splines.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
Shimano and Sachs 7 speed freewheels have the same 5mm spacing as campy 8 speed. They work fine with Campy 8 speed Ergo (as long as you block out the last shift)...
Back in the day, I didn't need more than a 12-19, or a 13-21.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
Shimano and Sachs 7 speed freewheels have the same 5mm spacing as campy 8 speed. They work fine with Campy 8 speed Ergo (as long as you block out the last shift)...
Back in the day, I didn't need more than a 12-19, or a 13-21.
Men were men back then. Mine is on the old TT bike - straight block 13-19 :)

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Now these Ergopower 8 speed levers must be 1st gen? Does anybody know if replacement hoods are available from Campy and/or aftermarket sellers? thx

·
Schuylkill Trail Bum
5,142 Posts

·
Registered
14,713 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have this crazy idea of trying find a set of ergopower 8 shifters on the auction site that match my older pre-ergo record brake levers. Looks like I can find some with the levers themselves identical, but the angle of the pointy part of the hoods looks like it could be slightly off.

If I could come close, I would use the right ergopower lever and stay with the Synchro shifter for the FD. Even when I was racing, I never found myself changing front rings all that often. Many races, after warming up enough to throw it in the big ring, that was it. Side benefit would be 1 less cable clutter.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts