Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Iohannes fac totum
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm very torn. I have the SL01 frame in my garage just waiting to get built up and I love the looks of it. HOWEVER, I just got the pricing from my dealer on a 2011 SuperSix4 (team discounts) that is pretty much on par with the cost to build up the SL01. I took the SS for a spin and it definitely fit better than I thought it would and it rode great from a parking lot perspective. Beautiful looking too in orange and white.

SO, my problem is I'm building this bike for racing. Mostly Crits but definitely road too. My biggest fear is cracking the SS in a wreck. I have yet to crash in a race, but I've seen plenty of foolish things going on to make me worry. Weight wise, on paper the SL01 was going to be built up around 16.5 lbs in race form. In race form, I'll have the SS between 15 and 15.5 lbs. (Race form = carbon tubulars in the range of 1100g)

Should I just package up the SL01 and ship it back? I ask here, because you guys are obviously BMC biased, and I already know the answer from the Cannondale forum.

·
fu
2,424 Posts
It's obvious that you want the BMC - otherwise you wouldn't have posted here. So go with it. What was the answer in the Cannondale forum? Maybe I'm blind but I don't see your post there.

·
Iohannes fac totum
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ph0enix said:
It's obvious that you want the BMC - otherwise you wouldn't have posted here. So go with it. What was the answer in the Cannondale forum? Maybe I'm blind but I don't see your post there.

I was going out on a limb and guessing by the overly enthusiastic owners that the SuperSix would win hands down. However, I highly doubt many have ridden a BMC much less an SL01. From posts on this particular forum, those who have experiences on a vast array of bikes seem to be able to get their opinions projected through a little better without the normal brand supporters casting support simply because that's what they currently own. I am truly split on this decision.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Well I'll say that the Large SL01 will weigh at least 2380g F&F+Post, and it will probably be the stiffest riding by far. The problem for me was the muscle fatigue. Who knows though - when your adrenaline is up you may like the vivid road feel. The SLX01 really smoothed things out for me, no more fatigue.

·
Registered
239 Posts
That's a toughy

OOOHHHH, it is nice in Orange!:cool: Do you want the Orange pill or the Orange pill - Decisions decisions :idea:

If you are getting the whole 6 I'd do it in a heartbeat! - As stock bikes go the 6 is perfectly set up to my taste. It even comes with training wheels:thumbsup:

·
extremely biased
870 Posts
you should be looking at the SLX01 vs the super.

The Super is a better bike than an SL01 in just about every respect.

Starnut

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
For crit racing, I'd go with the BMC. Otherwise, I'd pick the SS. But, if you can afford to replace the bike easily, then just get the SS.

·
Iohannes fac totum
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Peanya said:
For crit racing, I'd go with the BMC. Otherwise, I'd pick the SS. But, if you can afford to replace the bike easily, then just get the SS.

Well, as fate would have it, I somehow managed to put a small scratch in the top tube of the BMC while in the garage. I chalk it up to normal garage wear and tear (but honestly I think my wife or daughter knocked it over moving around the jogging stroller), so I am now "stuck" with the SL01. Can't really complain because I think it's a pretty cool frame. I was actually in the process of packaging it back up when I found the scratches. The other minor detail is that my bike rack says "No Carbon Bikes" in the directions. SO, BMC it is, and crit racing is the goal here.

Good news is I picked up new bars tonight......Ritchey WCS Evo Curve. Pretty cool looking bars.

·
Registered
662 Posts
U have 2 different bikes in there , i do have a road racer and the bike is awesomely fast, fro crits the bike will serve you well as for some short road racing also, it climbs pretty well, sprints like no other, rides like in rails, the only downside is the weight but to tell you the truth u wont miss the problem.

I did a lot of racing back in the day and i have ridden a few carbon bikes and the roadracer rides like carbon and behaves like carbon in a matter of fact i havent touch my kuota since i got the bmc a few months ago, the bmc comfortable machine but if you have super long legs, since the bike is pretty low and long the seatpost has a maximum also so if you are in the XL part of the spectrum it could be a problem with super long legs.

I can't give you any feedback in the cannondale because i have not ridden any cannondale ever. I know people swear for them but who knows. The other factor is that Im pretty overweight so I never use light stuff only because of reliability, so the bmc fits perfect in my own world, in light stuff world people bmc is not an option because their frames are in the heavy side compared with other brands.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Just out of curiosity, for those folks who have ridden the SL01, why do you think it would be a superior crit bike?

I haven't ridden an ss, but have ridden a bunch of the Cannondale CAAD bikes. My bike before the SL01 was a Streetfire SSX. I race, nearly exclusively, crits and don't think the SL01 accelerates or turns as crisply as the SSX did. It's not a bad bike for crits (I'd actually still say it's very good). If the ss rides like any of the CAAD bikes I'd ridden, though, I'd opt for the Cannondale.

Hell, I'd trade my SL01 for a decent Cannondale frame if I had the opportunity.

·
Registered
662 Posts
It is a matter of taste, some people like one stuff, other people like other stuff but so far u wont get stiffer than the bmc, u cant get accelerations like with the road racer in another bikes. I had a ridley compact a few years ago, that bike is insanely stiff also but the bmc accelerates better and the handling is supreb, w/o having try a cannondale those are my 2 reasons to pick a bmc over the cannondale. But again it is a matter of taste. Besides the SSX and the SLO1 rides a little bit different due to the carbon rear end, the canondales and the ssx are full aluminum frames. If you want a bike that goes everywhere the bmc slo1 is not a bad choice because u wont need a specific road bike no more.

If you dont want your road racer i can buy the frame from you, how much do you want and what size is it? Alsways good to have a spare moving around, specially when u wont be able to get them in AL no more.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What is your preference on the BMC Team Machine, SLR01? Has anyone ridden it and or raced it? Is it stiff as it claims to be? Its suppose to be stiffer than the SLX01. I have my 53 Team machine on order with the team set back post. Please tell me, it wasn't a wrond decision..
Thanks

·
Registered
662 Posts
If it worth something my opinion. As an ex racer ok? You wont get wrong with any BMC, even the street racer rocks big time. With some brands u have differences between the models but with BMC, all their bikes are fully raceable in all road conditions. Other brands that do the same are ridley, scott and a few years ago giant. You can not say that from specialized or Trek that have some models that are really bad for racing but for going down the street and buy bread in the 7/11.

Fly, too stiff it is bad also. I'll give you an example, people using the road racer can't imagine how stiff the carbon models are. Aluminum is stiffer than carbon but in the BMC models personally I can't even dream how stiff and nice the carbon models ride because the roadracer i have rides awesome compared with many other carbon stuff out there, and yes the road racer do not flex a single millimeter anywhere that i have noticed. Based in that i would not worry about stiffness, the bmc you picked does everything, and everything right.

You will see what im talking about after 5 minutes riding the team machine that is a terrific machine. You will start wondering WTF?? in reference to the new or superior models.

You will be fine.

Good luck :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the response and vote of confidence. I am currently on the large size of rider weight and currently ride a Caad9. And the problem I find with it, is that flat tire feeling i get sometimes. And after my long 4 hour plus saddle training rides, you just feel beat up at the end. Now, being a larger rider, I do have a full carbon tri bike but never a full carbon road bike. And I too had an option to go with the Super Six HM or a BMC. However, since the BMC has the BB30 crankset option, it was a no brainer in that sense, keeping overall costs low. So, I am definitely hoping that the team machine will corner as if on rails, allow me to sprint like the demons out of the corners and climb up hills like…. Well, ok that might be my only Achilles heel. At least, it should allow me to catch up to the group on the other side of the hill.

ultraman6970 said:
If it worth something my opinion. As an ex racer ok? You wont get wrong with any BMC, even the street racer rocks big time. With some brands u have differences between the models but with BMC, all their bikes are fully raceable in all road conditions. Other brands that do the same are ridley, scott and a few years ago giant. You can not say that from specialized or Trek that have some models that are really bad for racing but for going down the street and buy bread in the 7/11.

Fly, too stiff it is bad also. I'll give you an example, people using the road racer can't imagine how stiff the carbon models are. Aluminum is stiffer than carbon but in the BMC models personally I can't even dream how stiff and nice the carbon models ride because the roadracer i have rides awesome compared with many other carbon stuff out there, and yes the road racer do not flex a single millimeter anywhere that i have noticed. Based in that i would not worry about stiffness, the bmc you picked does everything, and everything right.

You will see what im talking about after 5 minutes riding the team machine that is a terrific machine. You will start wondering WTF?? in reference to the new or superior models.

You will be fine.

Good luck :)

·
Registered
662 Posts
Look for reviews about the team machine, in the other forums there are some people talking about other models also including the team machine. All the BMCs climb and descend, i cant even imagine how well the team machine is compared with the road racer because mine does it all even being a pretty heavy frame. Ex tracker so my ass is pretty slow going uphill so i know what are you talking about really well. The bmc i have climbs well.

You will notice something going on with the bike after 1 minute, the other weird feeling at least with the Road racer is that you feel weird like for 15 minutes but after that the darn bike feels right. With other frames takes you like a month to get used to them, I know the high end BMC feels the same than the road racer so doubt you will have problems with it.

Good luck and post pictures :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts