Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Advice wanted on new front wheel (sub $200)

I have to replace my front tire. I'm looking for the best weight & best aero combo I can get for about $150-170 max. It's replacing an Americal Classic CR350 24 spoke wheel with American Classic Micro hub, that died. Other info: I'm just under 170 lbs, and use the bike mainly for commuting to work and sometimes riding by myself on the weekends. No real racing or anything like that. On a really good week I might bike 60-80 miles, but typically it's a little less than that.

I'm still fairly new to this, so I'd really appreciate any thoughts on some possibilities I've found:

1) Easton EA70. 740 g for front wheel, 26 mm depth.
$168 from Nashbar
Easton EA70 Front Road Wheel - Overweight Code W

2) Mavik Aksium. 800 g for front wheel, 24 mm depth.
$70 (!) for 2010 version on closeout from excelsports
Mavic Aksium Silver Front Wheel 2010 - Excel Sports
$150 for presumably current version from bikeshopliquidators.com
12796910 - Mavic Aksium Front Wheel/Tire (Color: White)

3) Mavic Ksyrium Equipe. 770 g, 24 mm depth.
$140 from excelsports
Mavic Ksyrium Equipe Front Wheel - Excel Sports

4) Neuvation M28X. ~860 g, 27 mm depth.
$80 (!) for what's presumably an older version Neuvation M28X Aero Front Black - www.neuvationcycling.com
(2013 model is $110)

5) DT Swiss R28. 790 g, 27 mm depth
$155 from modernbike.com
DT Swiss R28 Spline Front Wheel Clincher Black from ModernBike.com

6) Campagnolo Khamsin CX. 825 g, 24 mm depth
$125 for 2011 version from amazon
Amazon.com: Campagnolo 2011 Khamsin CX Front Wheel: Sports & Outdoors

If any of you have opinions on these wheels--what's the best buy for me, etc--or if there are any other ones I should consider, please let me know! Thanks.

·
Registered
104 Posts
My vote, personally, would go to either the Easton or DT Swiss. Both are very reputable companies, slightly deeper rim for better aero, and are some of the lighter options. Just my opinion.

I think you found some great options and won't go wrong with whichever you pick.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My vote, personally, would go to either the Easton or DT Swiss. Both are very reputable companies, slightly deeper rim for better aero, and are some of the lighter options. Just my opinion.

I think you found some great options and won't go wrong with whichever you pick.
I appreciate the comments. I also found this used one on ebay which I'm now considering:

7) Maviv Ksyrium SSC SL, 2005 model (1500 miles on it). 690 g, not much aero but by nearly all accounts an excellent wheel.
Mavic Ksyrium SSC SL Front Clincher Wheel | eBay

Based on price when new, it's a higher quality wheel than the others I've been considering--but it is slightly used. Any thoughts on that one?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Based on price when new, it's a higher quality wheel than the others I've been considering--but it is slightly used. Any thoughts on that one?
Price isn't always the best indicator of quality with wheels, though this particular Mavic is a known solid wheel. 1500 miles is considered pretty low for a wheel like this.

Considerations include the need for a Mavic specific spoke wrench for the Zircal spokes, wide spokes that tend to catch the crosswind more, and although the miles are low, it is still a used wheel that is 8 years old and not under warranty.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Yeah, the Mavic-specific blade-like spokes are kind of a turn off for me.

I found one more on ebay, and I'm actually strongly leaning towards this one:

8) American Classic 420. Older model (a few years?) but unused, still in box. Only $130+shipping.
New American Classic 420 Track Road Front Wheel SS Single Speed Fixed Bike | eBay

The wheel I'm replacing is an American Classic 350, so I like that the A.C. 420 will still match (sort of) my back wheel. And the AC420 seems to be an excellent balance between weight and aero--even more aero than the other ones I was considering--yet still fairly durable.

Thoughts on that one?

·
Registered
104 Posts
And the AC420 seems to be an excellent balance between weight and aero--even more aero than the other ones I was considering--yet still fairly durable.
I don't know a lot about this wheel, but track wheels are often engineered differently to comport with the idiosyncrasies of the track environment. This might mean that the braking surface has poor performance, the hub might be a different width (some track wheels don't use quick releases, and instead are designed for nuts/bolts). Just make sure that the rim is suitable for road use and that the hub width will work.

I've heard that the AC wheels aren't all that stiff if you are above 190lbs or so, but if you have a set already and are satisfied, then they are probably just fine for you. Personally, I would still go Easton or DT Swiss over this one in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I don't know a lot about this wheel, but track wheels are often engineered differently to comport with the idiosyncrasies of the track environment. This might mean that the braking surface has poor performance, the hub might be a different width (some track wheels don't use quick releases, and instead are designed for nuts/bolts).
Looking at the photo again, it looks like a bolt-on wheel (i.e., no quick release), which means it probably would not be ideal.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Would I not be able to use my current skewer & quick release (from the AC350 wheel that I'm getting rid of) with it?
No, it wouldn't work with your Quick Release. The hub innards are different--from what I understand it is an either/or thing.

P.S. Thanks for your help!
No problem, just trying to help out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.