Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
jaydub_u
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been riding for about a year now and have just upgraded to new bike, Cervelo S1. I put on my old Shimano MTB spd pedals and am now thinking of upgrading to a road bike pedal. I am a big guy; 240lbs. (Down from 285) :) . I really like hard climbing and getting out of the saddle, so I am sure I put a lot of stress on my equipment. Now with the good weather, I have been getting in between 60 to 100 miles in a week for about the last month.
Have been looking at the Speedplay zero chromolly and the keo classics. But I really don't know very much about any of them. So suggestions would be appreciated. I would like to stay under 150 bucks.
thanks

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I like the Speedplays. I get hotspots with the looks. I also really like that they can be clipped in on both sides. Very convenient.

·
The Cube
1,113 Posts
Farmer Tan said:
What are hotspots?
points of increased pressure translated to the foot by the pedal. if the pressure from contact is not spread out evenly and well enough by the pedal and or the shoe, a small area of the foot will get more of the pressure delivered to it, and will become uncomfortable. imagine if a pedal was the exact shape and size of the bottom of your foot, then imagine the other pedal that was a golf ball. the golf ball one would give a "hot spot"

·
Registered
120 Posts
I recently changed from Keo to the Speedplay Zero's and I like the Speedplay but both are great pedals. If you go with Speedplay I would definitely get the Zero's so you can adjust the float. I'm not sure what they were set at from the factory but for me they had too much float so I just took a little out, very easy to do. I have them set exactly how I like them and don't think I would like the full amount, can't imagine that much float. It felt like being on ice to me. As stated above I really like the double sided entry of the Speedplay's.

·
jaydub_u
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
C130 said:
I recently changed from Keo to the Speedplay Zero's and I like the Speedplay but both are great pedals. If you go with Speedplay I would definitely get the Zero's so you can adjust the float. I'm not sure what they were set at from the factory but for me they had too much float so I just took a little out, very easy to do. I have them set exactly how I like them and don't think I would like the full amount, can't imagine that much float. It felt like being on ice to me. As stated above I really like the double sided entry of the Speedplay's.
What is float?

·
Registered
110 Posts
CrankBros quattros are pretty nice and won't kill your bank account either. Good float, can use both sides. I've never had any hot spots with them in four years.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Float is the amount of rotational movement your foot has before unclipping. Float can relieve pressure on the knees if your legs don't track straight. Too much float can make it hard to unclip. Too little can create knee pain. The SpeedPlay Zero's have an adjustable float so you can decide how much you want.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
I have just switched from MTB/SPD shoes and pedals after about 15 years. I bought some Sidi road shoes and Time RXS pedals. I'm very happy with the fit of the shoes and the functioning of the pedals. The one-sided thing is not a problem because I always have had one sided SPD pedals and actually find them easier to use than double sided.

Anyway, to OP: consider the Time pedals. They're definitely a different design than Shimano SPD-SL / Look Keo (which are really variations of the same design). They have quite a different cleat connection and different float characteristics. Their cleats have the same walkablity design as the SPD-SL pedals, generally considered better for walking than Look and Speedplay.

All that said, after a couple hours of riding, I notice no meaningful difference (for me, a middle aged recreational rider) from the SPD/MTB set up in terms of efficiency or "power". I do happen to like the shoes better. But I probably could have just shopped around for better quality and fitting MTB shoes. Oh, the set up is nearly 1/2 pound lighter though (pedals, cleats shoes), so I guess it might be worth it for that.

·
Registered
797 Posts
jaydub_u said:
I put on my old Shimano MTB spd pedals and am now thinking of upgrading to a road bike pedal.
Why (up?)grade!?!?! Just think, if you have a mech problem and end up having to walk.
I use MTB pedals on my roadie for that very reason

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
I recommend Speedplay Pedals.
I've been using them since 1996 and never had a problem.
Well made, durable, secure, easy entry, comfortable.

·
Registered
185 Posts
i prefer a large pedal like the looks or shimano road pedals. i notice a big difference between my spd pedals on my mountain bike and my looks/shimano road pedals on my road bike. the larger pedal platform is much more comfortable and reduces the "hotspots"

·
Registered
728 Posts
I have 105's and I think they're great. Haven't used anything else, but they have a nice wide surface and they're easy to clip/unclip. Never had a disengage and I don't get hot spots.
Won't break the bank either. I paid 80 (Canadian) on Ebay.
+1 to the 105

1 - 17 of 17 Posts