Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it a good idea for different hand positions on a commuter w/ flat bars? Probably a no no to the fashion police, but that's their opinion. What do you guys think?

·
Use my Apps :)
959 Posts
Oy ! I was just lamenting the recent resurgence of aero clip-ons on road bikes in my area. Typically middle aged pudgy guys (like me) trying to get a bit more MPH without putting in any more work. For them I say man up and put in the effort.

However on a commuter rig we will allow it.

Signed,
Your Local Bureau of Fashion Police

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,427 Posts
Optimus said:
Is it a good idea for different hand positions on a commuter w/ flat bars? Probably a no no to the fashion police, but that's their opinion. What do you guys think?

No
unless your aim is to have people laugh at you.

maybe you should put on some bar ends.....................and then put some bar ends on those bar ends.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I already have barends, but they're not cutting it.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
if you want to go fast get a road bike. big fngh guys on big fgng mountain bikes with areo bars commuting are a total joke. there, my hate over for the day.

and don't get me started on runners who stick to the center line on the MUT.

or clump in big fat groups.

and inline skaters.

It'll be winter soon and I won't have to deal with these little annoyances.

just me and the ice.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bikerjulio said:
if you want to go fast get a road bike. big fngh guys on big fgng mountain bikes with areo bars commuting are a total joke. there, my hate over for the day.
It's not a mtn bike, it's practically a road bike w/ a flat bar. It's easier to ride around w/ a flat bar in city traffic, keeps your head up!!!

You know, now I may have to get the aero bars, just for your comment! Thanks! lol

·
Registered
12 Posts
Optimus said:
It's not a mtn bike, it's practically a road bike w/ a flat bar. It's easier to ride around w/ a flat bar in city traffic, keeps your head up!!!
Which is exactly what the aerobars will ruin?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Aerobars in the city?
Sure, as long as you don't need to get to your brakes in a hurry.
Or make a quick deke around potholes or broken glass or sewer grates.

·
Pack Fodder.
1,871 Posts
In a city or heavily travelled areas- no. The amount of control you have is seriously affected (hands close together, essentially steering with your shoulders/elbows, away from the brakes and shifters...).

Out in the open, away from people and traffic- why not? Sure, you might be laughed at by those who know the difference, but they're in the minority. Kinda like wearing a full Radio Shack/Discovery/Postal kit to do MUT intervals on your Electra. If it floats your boat and you don't care what others think, go for it. There is a performance advantage above a certain speed.

The main issue here is safety- yours and other's.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is not a very large city by far, and there are good stretches where they can be used.

·
coaster
1,051 Posts
Well "commuter bike" and route obviously vary but on the road bike I used for a 10mi commute on fast roads adding an aero bar knocked a couple minutes off my time and made it more comfortable.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
I posed the question if aero bars were safe on group rides on out club site. OMG! From the responses you'd have thought I'd raped Mother Teresa. I don't think aero bars are safe for anything but a time trial type ride where maneuvering isn't an issue. I don't know what the OP's commute is like, but I sure wouldn't have wanted or used them on my commute of 18 mi. one way.

·
Destroyer of Motorcycles
41 Posts
Lelandjt said:
Well "commuter bike" and route obviously vary but on the road bike I used for a 10mi commute on fast roads adding an aero bar knocked a couple minutes off my time and made it more comfortable.
A couple of minutes on a 10 mile commute? Aw, come on now.

Are you comparing riding in the aero bars with being upright? or down in the drops?

·
Registered
858 Posts
Minjin said:
And you certainly wouldn't want to associate with those people...
Triathletes are just swimmers/cyclists/runners with attention deficit disorder. Don't hate on us just because we are compelled to add additional sports to our cycling experience.

Note: I have also found aero bars to be excellent additions to my road ride for long distance rides over the century mark. I'll be riding the Sebring 12 hour ride next Feb, and I will leave my aero bars on for that ride.

·
coaster
1,051 Posts
dolomoto said:
A couple of minutes on a 10 mile commute? Aw, come on now.

Are you comparing riding in the aero bars with being upright? or down in the drops?
I always rode as fast as I could, treating it like a time trial. This was 15 years ago so memory is foggy but when I put the aero bars on I believe I shaved 1:30+ off my time. I think I was doing just over 20 minutes. I was a ripper junior racer, set a record up Mt. Washington.
Not sure aero bars would make as much difference on my current commute, 4 blocks.

·
Behind on post count
305 Posts
If riding in the city around traffic where you might need to make a quick maneuver, it might not be the best idea to be on them. I used to have that and a nice long stretch of open road up the beach with an almost guaranteed headwind coming home where I always used them.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.