Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing the N.Y. tri in 6-7 weeks and i am planning to do it on my road bike and if i enjoy it and see a future in doing more i will then purchase a tri specific bike. But for now my question is do i really need the clip on aero bars on my bike....... and if i do then before i buy another handle bar does anyone know of aero bars that will suit the FSA K-FORCE carbon bar. I have looked and can't find any and it's a hassle to re-wire the K-FORCE. So if anyone knows if i will be that tired from an olympic tri swim and need to rest that much or anyone done them on a road bike without aero bars.

· Registered
3,083 Posts
Kabooby said:
But for now my question is do i really need the clip on aero bars on my bike....... and if i do then before i buy another handle bar does anyone know of aero bars that will suit the FSA K-FORCE carbon bar. I have looked and can't find any and it's a hassle to re-wire the K-FORCE.
1. Aero bars are the single best bang for the buck you can buy for improving your time in an individual time trial (which the bike leg of a tri is). To maximize the benefit you need to practice on them and possibly move your seat up and forward. Nashbar has some Ascent clipons aerobars on sale for $50 that would work just fine for your purposes.

2. FSA's website says that your bars are not clip-on compatible. You need new bars if you are going to run aero bars.

· Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the in put and about Nashbar. I'll look into it tonight and may just get a new seat and seat post which i can use on my tri bike build later on (if all goes to plan). That way its easier and quicker to reset from one position to another. Also i ride with the specialized toupe seat and i doubt i'll be comfortable with no padding on the butt.

· Man, I'm Awesome
2,203 Posts
If you just trying out the tri thing to see if you will like it, I wouldn't even bother with aerobars. There will be people there on their mountain bikes just trying it out.

I would save your money.

· Registered
26 Posts
i second brianmcg, if it is your first and you are just testing the waters than go with out. to answer your question, you will not be too tired from the swim. however, shawndoggy is right on. save your money and if you really get into it make your hardware upgrade decisions then.

· Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm pretty much going to do that and see how i do and if i really enjoy it as much as i hope to and see a future in it then i will purchase a tri bike. I would love to be doing tri's for the rest of my life like many senior adults are doing now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.