Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought a giant ocr1 a few months ago.

my problem is my hands going numb. i do my best to try different positions when climbing, going down hills, doing intervals, etc.

i'm doing 1.5 to 3 hour rides. at about the 1 hour mark my hands start numbing.

if i keep riding will this go away? is it just saddle time?

will aero bars help with this?

what aero bars will fit on my bike? it's an 08 giant ocr1.

thanks

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,331 Posts
2X post

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,331 Posts
Using aerobars to solve handnumbness is like buying a new engine for a car whose only problem is a mis-functioning A/C.

Are you riding the hoods, drops, tops? Are you using cycling gloves? Have you tried ge padding under the tape? How well is your bike fitted? What kind of bars are you using etc etc.?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Using aerobars to solve handnumbness is like buying a new engine for a car whose only problem is a mis-functioning A/C.

Geez...

Are you riding the hoods, drops, tops?
i ride the hoods then the drops then the tops, repeat after 15 minutes or so...as best as i can.

Are you using cycling gloves?
trek cycling gloves with padding...i've tried gloves without padding and also with no gloves.

Have you tried ge padding under the tape?
didn't know about this...hmmmm

How well is your bike fitted?
i'd say pretty close. i researched for a couple of months to make sure the bike was my size...i might start with a shorter stem now that you mention it.

What kind of bars are you using etc etc.?
i have not changed anything on the bike...yet. i wanted to get an idea since this is my first road bike.

coming from 18 years of mtb...i have to ask and learn alot about road bikes now.

thanks

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,086 Posts
bcaronongan said:

Geez...

Are you riding the hoods, drops, tops?
i ride the hoods then the drops then the tops, repeat after 15 minutes or so...as best as i can.

Are you using cycling gloves?
trek cycling gloves with padding...i've tried gloves without padding and also with no gloves.

Have you tried ge padding under the tape?
didn't know about this...hmmmm

How well is your bike fitted?
i'd say pretty close. i researched for a couple of months to make sure the bike was my size...i might start with a shorter stem now that you mention it.

What kind of bars are you using etc etc.?
i have not changed anything on the bike...yet. i wanted to get an idea since this is my first road bike.

coming from 18 years of mtb...i have to ask and learn alot about road bikes now.

thanks

Hmmm, I would start moving your hands a bit more. I would say my hands are never in one place on the bars for more than just a few minutes. Even subtle changes will help.
Also don't wait for them to go numb before you do something about it. Take one hand off the bar and put it behind your back and wiggle you fingers and move your wrist around then repeat with the other hand/wrist. You may also not be properly fitted for the specific bike. Too far back in the seat keeping to much weight on the hands. You should be able to "hover" over the bars without feeling like you will fall forward. Try bringing the seat a little forward. Only change one thing at a time though that way you know if you are making headway on the problem.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jupiterrn said:
Hmmm, I would start moving your hands a bit more. I would say my hands are never in one place on the bars for more than just a few minutes. Even subtle changes will help.
Also don't wait for them to go numb before you do something about it. Take one hand off the bar and put it behind your back and wiggle you fingers and move your wrist around then repeat with the other hand/wrist. You may also not be properly fitted for the specific bike. Too far back in the seat keeping to much weight on the hands. You should be able to "hover" over the bars without feeling like you will fall forward. Try bringing the seat a little forward. Only change one thing at a time though that way you know if you are making headway on the problem.
did a 2.5 hour ride this past saturday and sunday. moved the seat forward and also moved my hands more than usual.

no numbness. i also rode a few times with no hands just to make fists and stretch.

thanks!

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
If you are riding solo, you tend to forget to move around on the bike and numbness can set in. In a typical group ride, you will be out of the saddle, sprinting, moving around, etc. and you won't tend to have that numbness issue. Give it a try.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yep. solo for me unfortunately.

the bike shop closed last summer in town. owner retired and no one bought it.

so now there is no way to find out who is riding what/where/when.

you're right when solo...i found myself in the saddle riding along daydreaming up and over hills and through flats. when i snapped out of it i got back into sprinting and hammering, moving in and out of the saddle and moving hand positions...sheesh...

thanks again. this forum just saved me about $150!

now i need to find a group ride!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.