Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 50 mile ride coming up next week and I am thinking about getting clip on aero bars for my Bianchi Brava. I like the low prone position, but my hands don't. I have tried gloves and more padded grips, but none have seemed to work. I think aero bars would be perfect for me, but I don't know anything about them. I am looking to spend around a 100 dollars for a clip on set. Do you have aero bars on your bike and what do you think about them? Thanks.

B.L.

· Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
No matter what some people say, Aero Bars aren't made to be used on just a "ride". It takes many hours to train your body to use them correctly. They are best left for compitition. Aero Bars tend the "throw off" the weight balance of the front of the bike, when you are on the hoods or in the drops.

· LOOK lover
625 Posts
Aerobars are actually quite popular with two completely different groups: 1) time trialists/triathletes, and 2) the century/organized ride crowd. The two groups use them for very different purposes - group 1 uses them to achieve a more aerodynamic position for speed, group 2 uses them for increased hand positions and comfort. For both groups, however, Mr. Grumpy correctly points out the handling issues that arise from using them and the need to gain experience on them for reasons of safety. An event, or just a few days before, is NOT the time to try them out for the first time.

That said, Profile Design Century or AirStryke and Syntace C2 models (increasing order of cost) seem to be among the more popular choices among the group 2 crowd.

· Registered
19,427 Posts
syntace C2...

work fine, but I've got a TT set up with bar end shifters, Visiontech base bar, etc...they take some getting use to especially if you move your weight forward and sit on the edge of your seat for max. power..
bike gets squirrely...
stay off them at first in the wind or in a group situation...their designed to make you more aerodynamic, not more stable...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.