Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI, according to you what is the best aero carbon clincher on the market (weight-price-quality)

dura ace c50
cosmic carbone Sl (heavy)
cosmic carbone SLR
zipp 404 clincher
zipp 404 carbon clincher
reynolds strike
reynolds assault
etc.. etc.. ???

thanks

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
not sure yet about tubular.. I am not a fan about glue.. I dont know that anyway.. I know is lighter than clincher.. but a tubular tire is more expensive than clincher tire.. and if we do a flat on the road....

·
Banned
976 Posts
HUmmm. . .

spade2you said:
Why no tubular?
Because it's the 21st century? Besides, unless you're a pro with a mechanic following you around on rides only a dumbas* would deal with the tubular issues.

·
likes to eat donuts
827 Posts
seriously

QQUIKM3 said:
Because it's the 21st century? Besides, unless you're a pro with a mechanic following you around on rides only a dumbas* would deal with the tubular issues.
I'm sure that you could have gotten your point across without having to insult those of us who choose to ride on tubulars by referring to us and dumbasses. :(

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok my post was not about tubular or clincher.. :)

·
Registered
799 Posts
QQUIKM3 said:
How do you really feel?

Well said, though. I'd only deal with tubulars for a dedicated race wheelset.

I live in a very hilly and windy area and wouldn't go too deep, so for me, I'd get some EDGE 45 rims, and slap them on a PowerTap rear and CK R45 front hub, with CX-Rays front and NDS rear, and DT Comps DS rear. Then I'd Stan's Yellow Tape them and run Hutchinson tubeless, like all my other wheels.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
MarshallH1987 said:
on a weight/price/quality comparison it is going to be very hard unless you define one of the variables. What is your intended use, terrain, budget, weight (wheels and yours).
60% hilly
40% flat
my weight 180lbs
budget - 1200$
training and some race

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
stevesbike said:
reynolds wins in just about every category if you want all carbon clincher.
what kind .. the full carbon clincher or clincher with alu brakes surface

·
Registered
78 Posts
The new version of Williams Wheels are nice. They got th eweight down a bit. And the price/customer service is fantastic.

1624g claimed weight.

$999

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
robncircus said:
The new version of Williams Wheels are nice. They got th eweight down a bit. And the price/customer service is fantastic.

1624g claimed weight.

$999
I think the reynolds are lighter than williams.. 1535g I think

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
all carbon clincher: Reynolds Strike. Probikekit has good prices.
alloy/carbon: Mavic carbone sl: performance on sale.

Re Williams, my understanding is they source parts but don't make any. I'd want an all carbon clincher rim from a company that has researched brake track materials. At 180lbs delaminating a rim due to heavy braking is a very real concern.

·
Registered
21,542 Posts
Dale Carnegie?

QQUIKM3 said:
Is this the 21st Century version of "How to Win Friends and Influence People"?

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have a couple of thousand kilometers on a pair of Reynolds Assaults. They have held up flawlessly with our local back country bumpy roads and a few races.

·
Registered
78 Posts
shotojs78 said:
I think the reynolds are lighter than williams.. 1535g I think
Where can one find the Reynolds Strike for sub $1k? Remember the Williams are 58mm deep so not the same as the Attack or Assault.

Re Williams, my understanding is they source parts but don't make any. I'd want an all carbon clincher rim from a company that has researched brake track materials. At 180lbs delaminating a rim due to heavy braking is a very real concern.
I have seen the Williams carbon in person. There is some special laminate they put on the wheels. I know several people who race and train on them with no issues. I have a set of his alloy wheels and they've been great. Just another low cost option. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts