Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes i know there have been threads about whats better and faster between tubulars and clinchers but i would like to know are a set of lets say clincher 404 compared to tubular 404's will there be that much of a difference in a crit race and lets say nothing with extreme mountain goat 200+ max HR hills. Is a clincher that big of a difference.I see a lot of crits with riders winning on clinchers and nothing fancy so why would 100 - 200 grams make them heavy when compared to tubulars when a good set of carbon aero clinchers weigh around the same as an avg pair of clincher rims (give or take 20 - 50 grams). Again this is a question on clinchers aero wheels used for racing and lets not get technical with the professors out there who want to give me the a whole numbers multiplied by the wind and the price of fish in china during a race. Just curious how good or bad are clincher aero wheels(50mm - 58mm). As i am writing this i'm thinking the must be an easier and shorter way to ask this question so i am sorry for rambling on.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I can't imagine that running a aero wheelset in a crit would help much if any. I think I'd eat crap and take other people out running that. Crits can be crazy enough. Imagine a slight breeze hitting those 58mm rims.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have seen many riders using them for crits and i'm not sure if this is for looks or for speed. But would there be a difference if all riders were on 58mm and half were riding tubulars and the other half on clinchers and all were cloned legend riders would there be a huge difference. And we are hypothetically speaking here.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,520 Posts
For your question, I'm not sure the aero part really matters. Aren't you looking really for clincher vs tubular, and sticking with the aero (and in particular 404's as an example) you at least have a apples to apples comparison.

Tubbies are nice, no doubt about it. And the slight bit of weight savings will help them accelerate faster, at least in theory.

IMO, you win crits (all races really, but esp. crits) on muscle and guts far more than equipment. I'd rather go to the line with gear I wouldn't mind trashing. The sidewind performance of aeros wouldn't count as a plus in a tight crit, and as long as you're with the pack, the aero benefit simply doesn't matter - it accrues to the pack, not to the individual. Pick up a set of solid standard clincher wheels and have at it is my advice.

And when you're sitting at the line, lean over to the guy on the $1700 wheels and say, "Nice wheels. My buddy trashed his in last weeks' race."

·
Registered
51 Posts
Agreed

At the crit i did this weekend (City Park - Denver) there were 3-4 guys with zipp 404's (or one of the other models) and i don't think they finished the race, certainly not placing. so... the aero advantage isn't that great.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.