Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
The whole aero marketing movement is annoying to me personally. I really don't like the looks of them either but, I'm trying to. It's going to take time I guess. If I knew they were safer, cooler and more comfortable in addition to more aero then I'd be more into them I believe. Seems kind of sad marketing is going after a few watts. Oh well. Progress perhaps. I'm going to wait for the B models to come out before making a decision and I'd like to try one for a test ride.

·
Registered
335 Posts
The whole aero marketing movement is annoying to me personally. I really don't like the looks of them either but, I'm trying to. It's going to take time I guess. If I knew they were safer, cooler and more comfortable in addition to more aero then I'd be more into them I believe. Seems kind of sad marketing is going after a few watts. Oh well. Progress perhaps. I'm going to wait for the B models to come out before making a decision and I'd like to try one for a test ride.
You started out strong and then faded! I thought by the end of your post you may have talked yourself into one.:)

·
Registered
335 Posts
It is capitalism at its best. IMO the last new thing worthy of its hype is the powermeter. If used in conjunction with a solid training program it will benefit you tremendously and can be easily demonstrated to yourself. Unless you are at the very highest levels of the sport, where the difference between riders is so small that even small gains can have huge meaning then fine, but for the rest of us.....

Convincing us that we need it though sure helps offset the R&D costs and sponsorship investment.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
You started out strong and then faded! I thought by the end of your post you may have talked yourself into one.
I hate to admit it but as annoying as the marking is to me an aero helmet makes more sense than the whole aero frame movement. Living in the desert SW I'd really like to hear how they are in the heat. On long steep climbs. With tailwinds. Bonking.

How's that for fading?:)

·
Registered
335 Posts
I hate to admit it but as annoying as the marking is to me an aero helmet makes more sense than the whole aero frame movement. Living in the desert SW I'd really like to hear how they are in the heat. On long steep climbs. With tailwinds. Bonking.

How's that for fading?:)
Touche!

I do agree with you that the aero frame movement is a more egregious offender as the rider contributes significantly more drag than the bike.

BTW Louis Garneau has one coming out the Course that has caught my eye. :)

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I just got a Giro Air Attack. I higher speeds (~20 mph) the reduction in drag on my head was quite noticeable. It may only be a few oz less, which certainly wouldn't be felt if it was drag on the bike/wheels or elsewhere on the body, but is on the head. And I agree, it's certainly not consequential for the vast majority of riding circumstances. Can't say much about ventilation as I haven't had the opportunity to ride in warm weather yet. Here's the Giro marketing vid talking about the design and development:

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
It is capitalism at its best. IMO the last new thing worthy of its hype is the powermeter. If used in conjunction with a solid training program it will benefit you tremendously and can be easily demonstrated to yourself. Unless you are at the very highest levels of the sport, where the difference between riders is so small that even small gains can have huge meaning then fine, but for the rest of us.....

Convincing us that we need it though sure helps offset the R&D costs and sponsorship investment.
yeah that's the stock line but I don't see minute differences mattering there either unless you're talking about time trials. Actually they probably matter even less at the highest levels because those riders are riding in a bigger pack, on average, and sharing the wind cutting more with team mates.
An 'ordinary' helmet will probably cause as much drag over the course as sitting up for 3 sips of water does and no one is losing stages because they sat up to drink more than the guy that beat them.

That being said though.....as long and they are equal or better at protection and don't boil you head.....why not?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
My guess on these helmets is that their success will be highly dependent on their cooling ability. Most cyclists (minus those going after every shred of watts they can get) will not care about saving a few watts if it means they have to suffer drenching sweat on warm days.

Although if they do stay around, the makers of those head-sweat capturing headbands may have an increase in sales.

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Mia Culpa

Oooops - didn't see this thread and started another one - my bad!

This is what I posted:

"For those of us who wear helmets, it seems that a trend is moving towards aero helmets...

Aero Road Helmets Here To Stay | Road Bike News, Reviews, and Photos

Would you trade out your current lid for one of these?

Personally, I think they are fugly and I am not convinced that airflow under the helmet is anywhere near as good as more conventional lids.

Also, do recreational riders really need aero helmets? Perhaps this is a point where pro peloton tech is diverging too much from the needs of the average cyclist to be practical?"

Seems like we are in agreement that the benefits don't seem worth the cost if you already have a good light ventilated "traditional" helmet. I too would like to hear from "normal" riders who have tried them in blazing sunshine and heat.

·
Bianchi-Campagnolo
3,902 Posts
Well. I do recreational TTTs. A sleek helmet WILL save joules that can be put to good use after 4 hours at 38 km/h. And: Norway's not the hottest place on earth. If you count out the economy here, that is.

Besides: We like high profile wheels and tight fitting jerseys, don't we?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I have a Giro Air Attack on order. I must have drank the Kool-Aid, because it's the first time in my life that I've paid full retail for a helmet. Still, if Giro's numbers are even close to accurate I'll be happy: anyone who says 5 watts won't matter is kidding themself.

Meanwhile, once these things are truly available and we can buy last year's color at a discount they won't cost any more than other high end lids, will they? (Same holds true for TT frames -- my only carbon fiber frame uses aero shapes, but didn't cost more than a typical cf road frame, so what's the issue?)

Do they look goofy? Please! Put on your kit and check in a mirror, folks. We're not in this sport to look cool.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
My guess on these helmets is that their success will be highly dependent on their cooling ability. Most cyclists (minus those going after every shred of watts they can get) will not care about saving a few watts if it means they have to suffer drenching sweat on warm days.

Although if they do stay around, the makers of those head-sweat capturing headbands may have an increase in sales.
I think you're right......but personally I'd be more likely to get one if the ventilation was worse then traditional helmets. If that were the case they'd make really good early spring/late fall helmets.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Yes, They look no worse than the current crop of "head crabs".
Yeah. We've gotten used to the way "normal" helmets looks with their over-the-top rocket-man fins, strakes, peaks, grilles, etc.. Kinda silly, IMO. Specialized helmets are particularly bad IMO, and their newly debuted aero-road helmet is particularly grotesque.

The Air Attack is simple, plain, and functional by comparison.

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
+1 to "let's see how they work in the summer heat"

As I recall, it was the sprinters and their leadouts who first started wearing these - the fastest parts of the race are when aero matters most. So I can see American amateur critters using these.

·
Registered
335 Posts
yeah that's the stock line but I don't see minute differences mattering there either unless you're talking about time trials. Actually they probably matter even less at the highest levels because those riders are riding in a bigger pack, on average, and sharing the wind cutting more with team mates.
An 'ordinary' helmet will probably cause as much drag over the course as sitting up for 3 sips of water does and no one is losing stages because they sat up to drink more than the guy that beat them.

That being said though.....as long and they are equal or better at protection and don't boil you head.....why not?
All valid points. I think the aero helmet would have helped Cancellara at Flanders! :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.