Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard recently that aero spokes are significantly less effective for riders under 150-160 lbs?
is this true?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
?????

CC09 said:
I heard recently that aero spokes are significantly less effective for riders under 150-160 lbs?
is this true?
Why would rider weight have anything to do with it? If anything, since smaller riders typically have a higher ratio of aerodynamic drag to power, aerodynamic equipment should be more significant for smaller riders.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Mark McM said:
Why would rider weight have anything to do with it? If anything, since smaller riders typically have a higher ratio of aerodynamic drag to power, aerodynamic equipment should be more significant for smaller riders.
Because of Bernoulli's Mass Flow Uncertainty Principle: fluids in flow have some uncertainty about the mass of the body passing through them. They tend to assume that large bodies, i.e. humans, are muy massive, but are not completely certain. Thus the uncertainty. When they find out that the body isn't as massive as they thought, they find that a real drag.

·
Registered
21,509 Posts
?????? 2

CC09 said:
I heard recently that aero spokes are significantly less effective for riders under 150-160 lbs? is this true?
Where do you get this stuff?! No (or at least not too much) offense, but you seem to have the knack for coming up with some strange ones! Wherever it was you heard this, I suggest you not go back there, as whoever said it is nucking futs. Unless of course, they were saying something COMPLETELY different and you just misunderstood it :)

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it was said by someone whom i do not trust at all, hence I asked here. I was looking more to discredit them then anything else.

at least not to much offense taken, im usually just asking q's to find out or disprove something ive heard that doesn't seem right to me, i guess i should make that clear in my posts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts