Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to get some new wheels, but I don’t know much about wheels. So what are the advantages and disadvantages of aero vs. regular spoked wheels. I have been looking at the Neuvation wheels. I weigh 160 pounds, train for mountain bike racing and do fast group rides. I also live in an area that can be very windy, is that a big factor?
Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
339 Posts
After talking to people about that same issue, all I could really get out of them was that aero spoke suck in a cross wind so if it's windy in your area then I'd just go with regular I don't think aero spokes are going to make much difference for us mere mortals anyway except maybe the bling factor.

I just recently purchased the Neuvation cycling R28 SL's and so far I'm quite pleased but I have nowhere near enough miles on them to provide a definitive opinion yet, I am quite hopeful for them though.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
I haven't noticed semi-aero wheels and spokes really sucking in cross winds. They will reduce your wind resistance a little... enough for a couple tenths of a mph on the flat. If you are not racing though, I wouldn't worry about it.

Neuvations are not an optimum design IMO... a larger number of light butted spokes (like CX-Rays) would have a better fatigue life.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Time will tell

Jet Fuel said:
I am wanting to get some new wheels, but I don’t know much about wheels. So what are the advantages and disadvantages of aero vs. regular spoked wheels. I have been looking at the Neuvation wheels. I weigh 160 pounds, train for mountain bike racing and do fast group rides. I also live in an area that can be very windy, is that a big factor?
I am a 190 pound rider with 2500 miles on a Neuvation R28 SL wheelset. These are great wheels. They have stayed true and they spin up really fast. According to John at Neuvation, the R28 Aero is slightly stronger, stiffer, and heavier. I ordered a set of R28 Aeros on Friday for my hill cassette.

TT

·
Registered
359 Posts
I notice aero spokes and aero wheels in a gusty crosswind. I can remember times when I've looked like a sailboat riding at an angle to the road. Even though I use aero (or semi aero) wheels myself, my honest opinion is that they hurt more than they help except for very fast riders - like pro racers. I'm not one of those. I had some Neuvation M28 wheels a couple of years ago and they were heavy but sturdy. I recommend Neuvation products like others above.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Jet Fuel said:
The faster you ride the more they help. As to cross winds, I have more issues with my KysriumSL's then my Campy Boras. I am a big guy however and it is my understanding that smaller rider have more of a problem with deep dish wheels. Also keep in mind the weight of the wheels as areo wheels are sometimes heavy as compaired to standard wheels. All in all I still think most people would benifit from at least a semi areo wheel and I for one will stick with a high profile wheel in on all but the most windy days (gusts over 30mph)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.