Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm relatively new to cycling in my 50s, picked up a Trek Domane 6.2 Disc 9 months ago. Everything stock except seat, tires (GP4KSII 25 or 28mm), and 11-32 cassette needed to finish DeathRide in July. Have been training solo on flat roads outside Sacramento, and also go out on a weekly group ride into the Delta. Lots of wind here in the south county during summer - headwind, crosswind, and of course my favorite tailwind. Averaging 19-21mph on flats, slower into the wind and then fast 23-30mph pushes when there is a strong tailwind, and of course speed differences from group vs solo riding. About 3 times a month go out on club rides from Folsom up into foothills (50-150' climbing per mile). On the heavier side at 6' 1" and 210lbs, slowly working on bringing weight down 20lbs.

Have been looking at these clincher disc wheels:
- Bontrager Aeolus 3 and 5 D3 Disc
- Enve SES 3.4 Disc
- Enve SES 4.5 AR Disc
- Enve SES 5.6 Disc
- Reynolds Assault SLG Disc
- Zipp 303 Firecrest Disc

Attracted to Enve because they have no weight limit, reviews I've read, and positive forum comments. Also seen some good reviews and owner experiences on the Aeolus, and they are about $500 cheaper.

Looking for feedback/experiences/tradeoffs on a couple things:

1. Because I'm relatively new to cycling, interested in thoughts about going deeper with either the Aeolus 5 or Enve 5.6. Not really sure how much of an impact to expect on windy delta breeze rides versus the Aeolus 3 or Enve 3.4. And all of the 'interesting' rides I go on have 4000-10,000' of climbing, so not sure what to expect climbing with +/-50mm depth versus +/-30mm depth. All the options I'm looking at shave about 200grams versus stock wheels, and of course losing 20lbs will have biggest impact on climbing. So wondering more about what to expect on impact of climbing handling / spin up / infrequent mtn pass crosswinds when discussing shallow vs mid-depth aero.

2. Was interested in the new 4.5 AR, however outside width of that rear wheel is 30.5mm, my rear chainstay has 36.5mm opening, and after talking with Enve support they sent pdf showing a 40mm recommended chainstay opening. That said, my current 28mm tires are 31.5 inflated on the stock non-aero wheels. Hmm.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,567 Posts
You can buy Aeolus' in different depth front/rear just like Enve wheels(Aeolus 3 front/5 rear). I wouldn't worry too much about weight/acceleration differences. Your 28mm tire will probably end up being a little wider on the Enve rim, should still fit. Only way to know is to try it...

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Looks like you're looking more for a climbing wheel than an aero wheel, especially if you add windy rides into the mix.
I have 44mm Carbon clinchers and get to climb on my rides but don't do many windy rides, however, I was taken by surprise the first time a good crosswind caught my front wheel, and I'm just over 200lbs too.
Haven't noticed the wind-effect since then (I guess just used to it) but my opinion says you may want to look for a mid 40's depth at the most, maybe even less up front, 50/38 might be ideal.

·
Registered
165 Posts
See my other post, on my 6 series disc very happy with Aeolus 3s. Use is in NC mountains off the Blue Ridge. Typical 30-50 mile ride 3-5k ft of climbing. 205-210 lbs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
CX'er
863 Posts
3T discus wheels in 60mm and/or 35mm would be another good high end option that are aimed at being a little more rugged (I think the weight limit is stated at 250lbs) at the cost of weight.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Appreciate all the feedback, thanks everyone.

Given all my flat-land riding, I've decided to optimize for what I normally ride and take the 2-3 climbing rides a month out of the equation. Still trying to make a decision on what to buy.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
. Still trying to make a decision on what to buy.
I use the Bontrager's as a daily driver (7's, actually). Been on them for 5 seasons & never turned a spoke nipple once. 5's are the perfect all around depth.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Don't be afraid to use deeper carbon rims when climbing. I've done Mt. Hamilton twice now on carbon 55mm deep wheels and was always first to the top in my group. I agree with upstatesc-rider, the first few rides you feel the wind, but you get used to it. You'll get the occasional big gust that you'll feel tho. I'm 6'1" 175lbs, so the cross winds don't have as big as an effect on me like some of my smaller friends.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.