Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
21,865 Posts
Numbers

bakstreet said:
Where is a good place to look at aero wheelset comparisons? I'm looking at the HED Jet 60's and the Rolf TdF58's and would like to see how they stack up. What do you think?
I think that the difference between any two aero wheels is typically less than 0.1 mph. If that somehow makes a difference to you, then you might want to do a lot of detailed research. That said, if you are a good rider enough that 0.1 mph makes a meaningful difference to you, maybe you should let your sponsor and your team mechanic sort it out :)

Tour Magazine has published some numbers. Unfortunately, it is all to easy to cite numbers generated under different conditions that favor one wheel design over another.

· Registered
3,375 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
IThat said, if you are a good rider enough that 0.1 mph makes a meaningful difference to you, maybe you should let your sponsor and your team mechanic sort it out :)
You make it sound as though 0.1 mph is a trivial difference. That may be true for just riding around, but for timed events, 0.1 mph translates to 15 seconds for a 1 hour 40 km rider. I know a lot of amateurs who care about differences like that. Usually that's worth a few places in amateur events, and often makes the difference between first and second in State Championships.

If someone is going to buy a new set of wheels, I don't see why they should ignore the potential benefits that come with lower drag. That doesn't mean a lower drag number from one test should be the sole consideration, but neither should it be ignored alltogether.

· Registered
173 Posts
Actually, some tests would indicate that the difference between a wide range of wheel offerings at 50kph is about 16 watts. That is not a great deal, but it could be pretty critical if that 16 watts puts you on the wrong side of your FT. As KI said, it is pretty easy to create conditions that favor your own design (for example see Zipp).

You might check out this site: http://www.rouesartisanales.com/article-15505311.html

They do a number of pretty comprehensive studies, not only aerodynamics.

Cheers.

· Registered
4,105 Posts
bakstreet said:
Where is a good place to look at aero wheelset comparisons? I'm looking at the HED Jet 60's and the Rolf TdF58's and would like to see how they stack up. What do you think?
According to Rolf the Vigor SL is more aero than the TdF58: http://www.rolfprima.com/techinfo_aero_results.php

But if I wanted to bet on it, I'd say that the Jet 60 and TdF58 are virtually identical, and that they are both more aero than the Vigor SL. But it isn't huge in any case... probably less than the 0.1mph that Kerry mentioned.

· Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
anecdotally, I found I could ride one gear smaller/harder for the same perceived effort with Cosmics on (at speed) vs my training wheels.

If that helps you hang onto the fast group/win/place, go for it!

If yer JRA, don't bother.

M

· Registered
21,865 Posts
Finding meaning

asgelle said:
You make it sound as though 0.1 mph is a trivial difference. That may be true for just riding around, but for timed events, 0.1 mph translates to 15 seconds for a 1 hour 40 km rider. I know a lot of amateurs who care about differences like that. Usually that's worth a few places in amateur events, and often makes the difference between first and second in State Championships.

If someone is going to buy a new set of wheels, I don't see why they should ignore the potential benefits that come with lower drag. That doesn't mean a lower drag number from one test should be the sole consideration, but neither should it be ignored alltogether.
My point was NOT that you couldn't place a little higher with a slightly faster wheel, because obviously you can. My point was that each of us has to determine whether that MEANS anything :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.