Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I've been riding now for about 3 years, just recently getting back into the sport. I enjoy climbing hills and have been working on getting better. Currently, at the end of my ride I climb a small hill 2mi at a 4% grade at 10mph with a cadence of about 80 - 85. I'm trying to slowly lose weight (at 175 and would like to get down to 160) so that's already taken care of. Outside of that tho, should I concentrate more on increasing my aerobic capacity or increase my leg strength to push a bigger gear at same cadence? Which would give more bang of the buck so to speak? If that's the case what type of workouts would you suggest?

Thanks,

Ian in SD

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
C40 said:
, should I concentrate more on increasing my aerobic capacity or increase my leg strength to push a bigger gear at same cadence? Which would give more bang of the buck so to speak? /QUOTE]

Increasing your aerobic capacity will allow you to push a bigger gear at the same cadence, increasing your leg strength probably won't. Try intervals.

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,808 Posts
He isn't there another C40 on the forums here? Bike repair guru?

Oh, I agree with the interval training. Pushing big rings around will likely just trash your knees.

·
Registered
21,637 Posts
The all-important hyphen

hfc said:
He isn't there another C40 on the forums here? Bike repair guru?
That is C-40, not C40. Bad form to choose the the C40 name, but it's not likely the new poster knew that there already was a C-40 on the board. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts