Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Big is relative
11,901 Posts
alienator said:
What kind of aerospokes are you talking about? Spokes like CX-Rays or Aerolites, or those like on HED 3 spoke wheels?
I think that he is talking about those five spoke wheels from the early to mid 90's. They go out of true if you crash them, but they weren't that true from the factory. They were around for 3-4 years but I didn't see many people riding them except for tandems. They were heavy duty but heavy. Decent on a flat time trial.

·
Registered
23 Posts
aerospoke

Everyone sounds like they think the company is out of business. They are not.
Check www.aerospoke.com
They are heavy but they are pretty much bombproof. If you are a heavy rider they might be just the ticket. Also, their price is right for a set, much cheaper than anything else. Granted they are heavier and they are not pure cabon fiber, but if you want something and are on a budget, they are the way to go. By the way, if you get a pair, there is right way to mount them. There is a small arrow on the one of the spokes that shows correct direction.
I have a Hed 3 on the back of my P-38 Lightning (recumbent) on the front I have a 406 Aerospoke. Works fine, just heavy. The 406 weighs 830 grams, I can spend $160 and get a velocity wheel with a Fusion rim that weights 530 grams. Presto, 3/4 of a lb. dropped cheap. I have not done so because I like the way the bike looks with the Hed and Aerospoke. Looks good with the Zipp disc also.
Bruce

·
Registered
492 Posts
steel515 said:
do they get out of true?Has anyone tried these? are there any drawbacks except weight?

The builder needs to keep aero spokes straight when lacing a truing. Good builders hold each spoke while they screw in the nipple. Not only does twisting the spoke reduce aerodynamics but it also wants to unwind and the wheel will come out of true.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.