Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Personally I like the look but, i don't buy tires for aesthetics. NTTAWWT. Regarding the Turbo cotton...super awesome performing tire but, thin as ****. Get ready for flat city. JMO

·
gazing from the shadows
27,290 Posts
Personally I like the look but, i don't buy tires for aesthetics. NTTAWWT.
NTTAWWT... unless you get worse performance.

In fashion terms, browns and black are tough to pull off. I think the BMC looks nice blacked out with the yellow accent color. But what I or anyone else thinks looks good shouldn't really be relevant.

I think you might want to lean some gumwalls up against the wheels, stand back, and look. Then go with your gut. If you like the look the first time you look, go for it. But I would suggest avoiding trying to talk yourself into anything.

·
Registered
8,799 Posts
Go for it, if you don't like it ride lots and wear out the tires quick and replace.

But if you're anal about keeping the bike clean, stick with the black, gumwalls stain.

·
Registered
11,089 Posts
have never liked the look of gumwalls.

or colored tires...

coffee and tires should be black.

·
My other bike has knobbys
656 Posts
My Cervelo is black with red and white accents and I couldn't see it pulling off the gumwall look. With the Corsa G+'s I picked up, I went for the anthracene (dark grey) sidewalls instead.

Personally, I don't know that the gumwall would do well with the striking black/yellow you've got going on...but that's just my opinion on a cycling forum on the interwebz ;)

·
Banned
7,744 Posts
Yep, but not turbo cottons. Also change the saddle to the new brown leather selle italia and use brooks matching leather bar tape.

Black and brown looks classy and will tone down the yellow.

Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Tire Wheel

·
Never Give Up!
1,241 Posts
That BMC is sick looking just the way it is, leave it alone and GO RIDE!

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
If you could get the right yellow, that would look nice. Problem is, if the yellow is off from what your graphics is, then it looks awful. Solid black tires, like tape, never goes out of style. I did some off-white Michelin Pro 4's on my Eddy. The bar tape has since been turned to black. Once these tires wear out, I'll probably go to all black. My wife and I have 7 road bikes and it's too hard to keep bike specific tires in stock. Her Eddy -- that she never rides -- has red side walled tires that look awesome against the red graphics, and they'll never wear out :( View attachment 318495 View attachment 318494

Attachments

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
oh dear no! Tires should be black yo.

think about yo, if you use black tires, you can run different tires for front and rear. Now why would you want to run that? Because front tire should be soft and supple, rear tire should be tougher for longevity. That's what I always do. Stay with black, the blacker the better.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Yep, but not turbo cottons. Also change the saddle to the new brown leather selle italia and use brooks matching leather bar tape.

Black and brown looks classy and will tone down the yellow.

View attachment 318484
this looks great!

but I like to see variety. I didn't mind the blacked-out murdered look when it was new and unusual. It is just wrong now in endless proliferation. I have a blacked-out mtn bike and hate its appearance (but love its geo and capability - came only in all black)

·
Huge in Japan
456 Posts
The OP's made his modern bike to look very stylish.

You made your modern bike look very old/outdated. Congrats!
I have a black defy that I put a Cambium saddle and Cambium cotton bar tape on. I really like the new/old mix like that. But to each their own.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.