Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to find affordable cycling socks? The LBS only sells socks that are $15-$22 a pair. I bought a 3 pack from Performance Bike when I visited their store, that is 3 hours away. To order them, they charge tax and $7 shipping so they aren't affordable anymore.

Are there any deals out there for decent cycling socks? Please let me know, because I can't find them!

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
Check the "Hot Deals" section for the Sole socks. $2/pr. While they are listed as for size 13-16, they are only 7" long unstretched. They are GREAT socks. Alternatively, I got some Addidas socks from Costco for a reasonable price and they work just fine for cycling.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'd assume that any sock designed for athletics using only synthetic fibers would be fine. Most athletic socks are designed to increase ventilation and moisture management. Any sporting goods store should have them. I got a pack of four socks for like $10 at Dick's. I suspect you don't need to spend $15-20 per pair to get good results. Though, I would like to get a pair of Smart Wools one day. I'm just hesitant to drop the $17 for a pair.

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
RE: Smart Wool socks. Check out Sierra Trading Post for Smart Wool products. They often have pretty good deals on them

·
Registered
125 Posts
15 bucks for three pair at nike store. Sorry could paste a photo. Dick's sells them also.

From gym to court to field, the Nike Dri-FIT Half-Cushioned Low Cut Socks (Large/3 Pair) do right by your feet with dynamic support, top-of-foot ventilation and sweat-wicking Dri-FIT fabric.
Anatomical left and right socks for a natural fit
Dynamic arch bridge for snug support
Half-cushion terry foot for comfort and shock absorption
Reinforced heel and toe for enhanced durability in high wear areas
Fabric: Dri-FIT 78% polyester/21% nylon/1% spandex.
Machine wash
Made in the U.S.A.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,981 Posts
Blue CheeseHead said:
Check the "Hot Deals" section for the Sole socks. $2/pr. While they are listed as for size 13-16, they are only 7" long unstretched. They are GREAT socks. Alternatively, I got some Addidas socks from Costco for a reasonable price and they work just fine for cycling.
I got some of those too, and they're great. These are nice as well. http://www.footsmart.com/P-NB-Lightning-Lo-3-Pair-61498.aspx

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Beleive it or not, Walmart's Starter brand has some synthetic "performance" socks that are as good as any socks I've seen. They use the name Dri-star for their synthetic blend. Dirt cheap. They also have some suprisingly good wicking shirts that make pretty good cycling shirts if you don't mind the lack of rear pockets. They are more of a T-shirt type cut, loose and comfortable.

·
Master debator.
8,816 Posts
Champion C9 black runners socks available at Target. You can choose to get the low cut ones so you don't have that ugly 4" tan line on your ankles too :thumbsup:

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
I was in Dicks Sporting goods 2 weeks ago and sitting on a table marked clearance I found a pack of under Armor "no show" athletic socks. After checking them out I deemed them perfect for cycling. $2 for a $25 4 pack of socks!

They're thin, comfy, and I didn't pay much at all for them.

Look around stores like Gander Mountain. I've found Sock Guy socks on sale or clearance for $7 a pair before.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I love high quality socks, both on and off the bike, and am willing to pay for it.

I also have thin feet so don't like the ultra thin cycling socks.

I use the Smart Wool cycling-specific socks. Yeah, they weren't cheap. But you know what? I wear them every day, got three pairs at once, they work and feel great, and after a year of use they look brand new. I've been using Smart Wool socks since they came out (maybe around 2000?) and I've only worn out one pair. They are well made and last, provided you use them for cycling, hiking, etc...and not walking around your house.

For me, I'm happy to pay double for nice socks that last a long time. I just picked up some new soccer socks recently. One pair for $15, one for $7. I'd say the more expensive ones are even nicer than twice as nice as the cheap ones!

·
Premium Member
5,457 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Blue CheeseHead said:
I bought 4 pair of the Sole's at $2 a pair. I wear a size 45 and the socks, though marked xl, fit great. I really like them, so far.

·
Le Misérable
4,374 Posts
If you live in the States, TJ Maxx and Marshalls almost always have brand athletic socks for dirt cheap. When I lived there I tried a few, found one that I really liked and went back and bought a pile of them. I think it worked out to about 2-3 bucks/pair, and I still have a few of them in the rotation.

There's no reason to buy cycling socks at an LBS for regular price. I'm all for buying local, but there comes a point when it just doesn't make sense.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.