Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Ibashii said:
If you live in the States, TJ Maxx and Marshalls almost always have brand athletic socks for dirt cheap. When I lived there I tried a few, found one that I really liked and went back and bought a pile of them. I think it worked out to about 2-3 bucks/pair, and I still have a few of them in the rotation.

There's no reason to buy cycling socks at an LBS for regular price. I'm all for buying local, but there comes a point when it just doesn't make sense.

+1
I am riding on a bunch of Fila's from Marshalls that have all the features of more expensive socks, are durable, and cost about $2 a pair.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Performance coolmax elite

I know you started off by saying that Performance stuff is "not affordable" because of the shipping costs, but you have to consider the cost per item, and also the lifespan. I have a bunch of pairs of their Coolmax Elite socks, and in my experience they work great and last nearly forever. I hear the kevlar-reinforced ones last even longer. They're often (like now) on sale for about 6 bucks, so if you get six pairs the shipping charge makes it about $7.15 a pair, which I consider cheap for something that lasts for hundreds of uses. I don't treat them delicately, either. I commute, and in cool weather I often walk around the house all evening in the socks. Even with that slipper-like use I've never worn out a pair enough to throw them away.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
I like Sock Guy socks. All I wear cycling, on and off road. Get mine at Price Point. They have plenty at $5 a pair or less. Just got my wife these. She luvs 'em.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Thanks!

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I just ordered some socks from Long's Cycle Supply. They have some great deals on socks and jerseys. I'm trying the Sock Grab Bag Deal. 6 pairs of Coolmax socks for $19.99. I also was able to use a 20% off coupon, which almost covered all of the shipping cost.
They will be brands like DeFeet, SockGuy, Balaga, etc. but they pick the styles.

Sounds like the best deal I have seen and if I get any socks that are just too hideous to wear, I'll sell them on eBay or give them away.

If you haven't ever been on the Long's Cycle Supply website, you should check it out!

·
Fuel-sippin' fool
227 Posts
I second the vote for Smartwool.
I wear their socks year-round and will never go back to soggy cotton or the stinky synthetics, which I used to think did a good job of staying dry, but now feel clammy in comparison.

The Phd Cycling Ultra Light Mini (essentially the same sock as the Phd Running Ultra Light) is my 3-season sock of choice, and for cold winter days, I use their Phd Light Crew.
I've had good experiences buying here, and they pricematch ($8-12 per pair is a good price):
http://www.amazingsocks.com/web-pid-10P2D371-Smartwool-PhD-Cycling-Ultra-Light-Mini-Crew-item.htm

·
I'm slow
213 Posts
Nashbar has the Cannondale Simple Sock on sale for $2.49/pr. Several color and size choices available.

Nashbar Item No. » AA-CSSS

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.