Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I've been using my cleats and SPD 747 pedals for close to 10 years, I've always been able to click easily out whenever I want to. Suddenly after all this time, I am having trouble getting out of my right pedal, the one I get out of when I want to stop.

Why would this be and what can I do about it?

·
Ron&Fez XM202/Sirius197
485 Posts
I think you answered your own question. After 10 years, I would think the pedals and cleats are pretty worn. Try new cleats, but it may be time for new pedals as well.
Bryan

·
Administrator
13,147 Posts
It can, especially if the release mechanism is deformed or bent.

Also how old are your cleats?

·
gazing from the shadows
27,387 Posts
the sky above said:
Thanks for the help and reply. So, when cleats and/or pedals wear out, it gets harder to click out of them?
Yep, certainly with SPDs it does. It's strange, because it makes more sense that wear = looser = easier.

Since the right one is the one you click out of to stop, it has seen a bit more wear, so it does make sense that would be the problem. Try some new cleats, that's the cheap way to try to salvage them. But if that does not work, new pedals and cleats are in order, and after 10 years you've certainly got your money's worth from the originals!

·
Folsom City Blues...
7,368 Posts
Yup, all of the above, I had some look pedals on my old steel bike that did the same thing after about same amount of time. Changed out the cleats and ended up getting new pedals to resolve the issue...

Peace :cool:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.