Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I patched up some tubes, but was wondering if I should put a covering over the patch. There are some parts of the patch that didin't stick, but the area where the glue was applied seems to have stuck well. Should I wrap some tap or something over the patch so it doesn't catch on something inside the tire?

Appreciate any pointers.

thanks.

·
Could be faster
282 Posts
nah...leave it as it is.

depending on brand of patch you are using, when i remove the paper backing, i squeeze/fold the glued patch in half so that the paper tears from the middle. i then peal it off from the middle, which prevents the edges of the patch from lifting. probably not necessary but it works for me and none of my patches have failed so far.

if this is the first time you have patched a tube, my suggestion is that once the patch has set, inflate the tube until its about 0.5 inch in diameter and let it sit overnight. if you find it flat the following day, well, take comfort in knowing that you have not installed a poorly patched tube in your tyre.

boon

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Talc

rugger said:
I patched up some tubes, but was wondering if I should put a covering over the patch. There are some parts of the patch that didin't stick, but the area where the glue was applied seems to have stuck well. Should I wrap some tap or something over the patch so it doesn't catch on something inside the tire?
You should put talcum powder on the tube to keep it from sticking to the inside of the tire.

·
Registered
168 Posts
IMO, your patch shouldn't have any unglued spots, because those are invitations for it to peel off. I always apply glue to a larger area than the patch to be certain that the edges stick. If you think a patch is too large, I guess you could cut it down with scissors.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
don't bother removing the backing...

rugger said:

Appreciate any pointers.

thanks.

I've found that removing the clear plasic from the back side of a freshly applied patch can cause the edges to lift, so I don't bother removing it anymore....if you wait until the next time the tube is out it can be removed easily without lifting the patch

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.