Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Storm.

I copied this over from the Commuting/Touring Forum. If you don't visit the other forums on this site you will never know what you are missing....

You didn't really think we wern't going to ride today did you?

What is 10" of snow to us? Well for one thing it was a whole lot of shoveling before we could get our bikes out of the alley. At least it gave the plows time to give most of the major roads a first pass.

We rode through Georgetown to Downtown and the Mall. There wasn't much traffic which was a good thing since it was really sloppy out there. It was also a good thing we had the studded tires. We saw several people fall down and a few cars spinning out but we had no traction problems at all.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
We left the mall and found some roads that hadn't been plowed. Boy the snow was deep. My front wheel was creating a bow wave in the deep snow. The studded tires gave us great traction so all we had to do was keep moving and we were fine (there was a lot of resistance in the deep snow and our feet buried themselves at the bottom of every pedal stroke).

We each stopped a couple of times in the deep snow and it was really hard to get rolling again. We were running flat pedals and wearing our hiking boots which turned out to make it really difficult to start up (I knew from past experience that clipless pedals were pretty much usless in deep wet snow (once you get a layer of ice on the bottom of your shoes there is little chance that you can click in)).

Once we were moving again the boots with flat pedals were fine and our feet stayed dry and warm for most of the ride. Likely if we used this combination more often we wouldn't have any problems getting started at all. I'm thinking riding fixed has spoiled us.

One thing for sure all the work pedaling against the deep snow was keeping us nice and warm.

How do you like them wheel covers?

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In fact we didn't ride all that far.

30 miles at most.

That would be 30 of the most scenic fun miles we have done in quite some time.

On the way home we stopped at the Bagel Bakery (yes Ben I did have a chocolate chip muffin) for a well earned breakfast. Then it was time for more shoveling before we went for a really long walk.

Not bad for the day after a blizzard.

Now of course everything that melted today is going to freeze solid tonight. Tomorrows commute should be really fun.

·
C 1/5
609 Posts
I told my wife this morning..."if anyone rides today it will be MB1..." and you didn't disappoint. No riding for me, but I did enjoy a nice morning of shoveling...

Our dog really likes the snow, and the boy is not to sure yet...of course with all the clothes my wife put on him, he couldn't move his arms.

·
Non non normal
10,098 Posts
I thought this morning.

I have to check C&T on RBR to see MB1's snow ride pics. I knew they would be there. Very nice as usual.

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Great stuff MB1 I love the shot at the very beginning where the tree branch looks like veins. The wheel cover looks cool too. I figured you two would be riding. I hope your commute today was interesting in a good way.
Cheers!
S

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've been riding the extreme cold weather

MB1 said:
In fact we didn't ride all that far.
QUOTE]

in Boulder but I haven't tested my ride in the snow. My 38 miles commute is forcast to snow wednesday thru friday. I'll be riding my mtn bike instead on those days. Do you ride on platform pedals or clip on or both? It's hard to tell in your photos. Thanks in advance! BTW, keep on posting those wonderful photos. In my eyes, you're a true photographer.

·
Mess O'Potamist
2,224 Posts
brriffic

funny. as soon as i heard it was going to snow i thought about this post. didn't disappoint.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
You win a dedication award

Completely awesome. We just got back from riding in 85 degree heat in Death Valley (post to follow soon with a larger post on the General forum when I get it complete).

I think you win the anti-weight weenie award with those wheels! Must have been like trying to move lead along. Wow.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Funny what this board does to you.

The TV was on the Today show this morn as I got dressed. They were showing the snow in NY & DC. The first thought I had was MB1 will get some pix and I'll see more of the snow tonight. Thanks MB1

1 - 12 of 12 Posts