Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,

i've not been happy with my centaur UT chainrings... c.10,000 kms and some teeth are quite worn. The inner chainring is still fine. Since i have to replace the bearings (another rant!) i'd like to replace the outer ring. Campy is way too expensive so no...

My choices are stronglight dural and zircal rings. Any experience with these? Are the more expensive zircal rings better and worth it?

apart from that, i can also opt for the more expensive TA rings.... any good?

if these aftermarket options aren't as good as campy OEM (at the centaur level)... i'd prolly have to buy new a centaur crankset and be done with it. :(

thanks!

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,565 Posts
did you ride all those miles on one chain? that could be part of your problem. why don't you post a couple of pics of the rings and let's see what they look like...

·
Satanic Watch Winder
4,839 Posts
I agree, pictures would help as it could well be the chain is cashed.

In the mean time, is it a compact? Since the large ring is worn at 10,000 kms, are you cross chained a lot?

IMO TA is top shelf, but expensive (beautiful too). I put a short arm triple from TA on my wife's recumbent and found the quality beyond anything from Campy or Shimano. Check out Peter White Cycles. http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/chainrings.asp

·
Registered
243 Posts
I recently got a set of Strong Light CT2s (Ceramic Teflon coated) off Ebay for $37 delivered! While I've only got a few hundred miles on them thus far, they've been awesome. They're just super smooth (relative to some FSA chainrings that came with my SL-K lights).

The coating will eventually wear off, but at $37 a pair (retail would have been about $180) who cares? I actually bought a 2nd set from the guy just because it was so cheap.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
10,000 kms= approx 6200 miles. That is premature wear for a chain ring. I wear out my small rings long before my large ones. Is it affecting your shifting? Does the chain slip? That's usually the clue that your ring needs replacing. I have Stronglight chain rings on my old bike. Work fine. Totalcycing.com had the best prices when I was shopping. That was a few years ago...no experience with T.A. chainrings, they are supposed to be good. Price was what lead me to the Stronglight. I'd look around for some new chain rings but if your bike is not having any problems I'd just keep them of the shelf for later use.

I'm no expert. A good wrench could tell you if the rings need replacing by looking at them.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Use TA rings on all my bikes

I have TA rings on all three of my road bikes (all Campy) and have not noticed any problems with shifting or wear. I really like the fact that you can get TA rings in different sizes other that 53 – something my 50 year old legs appreciate.

I have ordered my rings from XX Cycle in Franc Wiggle.

·
Registered
21,638 Posts
Something's wrong

wankski said:
i've not been happy with my centaur UT chainrings... c.10,000 kms and some teeth are quite worn.
I got 100,000 km each out of a Record and a Chorus chainring, and I don't think they are any more wear resistant than Centaur. You state that "some teeth are quite worn." Chainrings don't wear out "some teeth." Are you sure that you're not just seeing the tooth profiling that is done to improve shifting? Keeping your chain clean and properly lubed should result in FAR more mileage than you are reporting. Something's wrong here.

·
Rub it............
3,833 Posts
I think Kerry nailed it on that one.

But a picture will definitely clarify everything.

If maintenance is not performed, you will continue to replace chain rings prematurely.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
I put Stronglight zircral chainrings on my commuter. They are standard 130mm 38/48 that I bought from Ribble cycle. They had the largest selection with lots of choices for campy in 135mm and 36/50 in 110mm campy specific. I posted pictures of the rings on my commuter wrenching post on commuting and touring. Too lazy to link.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks guys - i'll put a pic up as soon as i can... i do change chains - but then again i do cross chain a bit (i know!!)....

maybe it is profiling - they are not shark toothed - but i dont have this on my record ring which is in better shape with more miles... will post soon. Appreciate the comments!

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
update - with pics

hey guys - thanks for the help on this...

as i said, two teeth are quite worn down - as in missing the tips, a few others look a bit similar... any idea what causes this?

i'm looking at brand new campy rings that have even teeth throughout - so this isn't a "feature"...

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
What Kerry said. That's not wear. Chainrings don't "wear" like that. The part of the teeth where the chain rollers cause wear are in perfect shape. I don't know what new Campy chainrings you're comparing it to, but that looks to me like deliberate profiling to aid shifting. Campy may have changed the pattern recently, but AFAIK all newer derailleur cranksets have some profiling on the big ring.

2 questions: Are there 2 or more sections of the ring with this or a similar pattern? Does the thing seem to work right; i.e., does anything feel wrong when pedaling or shifting?

I don't think you really have a problem.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Agree—the chainring in the photo shows very little to almost no wear. The two short teeth are in fact a 'feature,' just as the ground-in relief sections on the teeth (1 through 5, from left to right) are. Many thousands of miles left on this ring. :)

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks guys - i know the teeth aren't worn thru - since they are not sharktoothed... it also shifts fine to me... but the no tips looks strange to me...

JCavilla - these are the only pair of teeth that look like this. These pair are @ 6 oclock to the crank arm... there is one single tooth @ 9 oclock that looks similar. These are centaur UT cranks.... I have UT chainrings right here - brand new - i can post them to prove it... I am aware of the teeth profiling - i get that... but all the teeth are even and the same height...

is this weird? anyone else have this on new chainrings?

thanks guys - appreciate the replies on this.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
update

so over the weekend training camp i noticed a new issue... the chain skipped on the big ring...

after removal i found this...

i knew something was not right with this ring.... the other thing i've noticed is that unlike my 05 record rings, it does not say MADE IN ITALY. IMO, and i'll say this again, they are not the quality of my record rings, which are now on my UT cranks - have a lot more mileage than the centaur rings, and none of these issues...

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
addendum

this is the new UT chainring i'm talking about... as i said before it does NOT have flat tooth profiling, only the machining profile of the even-height teeth differ...

i do know about the tandem flat-top profile of some rings eg, sram rival - but campy UT, at least veloce or centaur, does not have this... i do know what profiling is, i have worked as a wrench, i know when something does not look right....

as can clearly be seen below:

I think these modern rings, not being made in italy, are of inferior quality.... as i said - my record ones are much better...

·
Registered
514 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
I got 100,000 km each out of a Record and a Chorus chainring, and I don't think they are any more wear resistant than Centaur. You state that "some teeth are quite worn." Chainrings don't wear out "some teeth." Are you sure that you're not just seeing the tooth profiling that is done to improve shifting? Keeping your chain clean and properly lubed should result in FAR more mileage than you are reporting. Something's wrong here.
So over 60,000 miles on a chainring? That seems like a lot to me--even rotating chains and keeping the chain lubed. How much do you get out of a cassette?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Record, Chorus, DA chainrings way harder . . .

I was tooling around in the review section (11-spd Campy groupos), and found a link to a February 2008 Tour Magazine (German) review of Campy, Shimano, and SRAM components.

After paying $2.68 (2 Euros) via paypal, downloading, and google/translation, I found a chart regarding the hardness of the various chainrings. They used a diamond-tipped drillpress!

Bottom line: the Record, Chorus, and DA chainrings were way harder than lower groupos or any SRAM. On a scale of 1-3, with lower numbers being better, here are the results:

Record Lrg/Sml : 1.0/1.0
Chorus : 1.3/1.3
Centaur : 3.3/3.7
Dura Ace : 1.3/1.3
Ultegra SL : 3.3/3.7
105 : 3.0/3.3
SRAM Red : 3.0/3.0
Force : 3.3/3.3
Rival : 3.7/3.3

Gotta love the Germans! Note the big deltas between the Record/Chorus/DA and all the rest. (Looks like Shimano sacrificed durability in the Ultegra SL rings vs. 105 to achieve lower weight, as did SRAM across the line, an unfortunate tradeoff in this application, IMHO.)

Anecdotally, this seems to jive with my limited experience. I ride a 53/39 double Shimano crankset on an otherwise Campy drivetrain. Recently replaced my Ultegra 6600 with a Dura Ace 7800. After two years (roughly 6,000-7,000 miles), the Ultegra had performed flawlessly, and I rotate chains and clean/lubricate them often. I ride mostly in the large chainring (not many hills here). The large ring on the Ultegra 6600 seems a little worn (the small looks great)--not bad (and no broken teeth like your Centaur) -- but a bit chewed up. Will probably put this on a lower-mileage cross bike someday . . . .

This doesn't really help you re. aftermarket rings (other than to verify that you're not crazy), but is good info for anyone debating whether to buy a Chorus vs. Centaur UT crankset, or between a DA 7800 and Ultegra crankset. IF you do wind up buying a Campy ring, however, go for at least a Chorus-level ring!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts