Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any correlation between age and warm up time. I really have been noticing lately it takes me much longer to warm up and get so speaking into the groove than it did 20 or even 5 years ago. As one grows older (50 year old here) does warm up time increase. Or do I need to face the fact I'm an old man:(

Ray Still

· Registered
1,693 Posts
abiciriderback said:
Is there any correlation between age and warm up time. I really have been noticing lately it takes me much longer to warm up and get so speaking into the groove than it did 20 or even 5 years ago. As one grows older (50 year old here) does warm up time increase. Or do I need to face the fact I'm an old man:(

Ray Still
57 here and yep, it takes me around 40 mins. to get warmed up right it seems. more than when I was 53. yep U are an old man. I still don't think so but my body says so. :cryin:

· Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Yes and no.
I find that I can push sub-maximal efforts with a short warmup. Crits are different. If things take off in the first two laps, I will really suffer if I haven't been warming up for 30 minutes or more.

· Registered
11,555 Posts
Cause and effect.

65 here and I think it takes me longer to hit my stride than it did 10 years ago. But if I have to, I can still ride hard from the get-go. Which leads me to believe that by warming up longer on solitary rides, I've simply taught my body to like longer warm-ups. Sort of like old-age loss of balance: often caused by stopping all avtivities that require it.

· Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
I'm 65, & I don't necessarily think it's an age related thing. IMO/IME it has more to do with how fit you are. If you're not fit, you can warm up quickly. If you're at a high level of fitness, it takes correspondingly longer to get fully ready.

· Registered
984 Posts
I am 65 and it does take longer to warm up now than it used to. I find that I can start out on a wind trainer and after 20 minutes or so the cadence will start to increase with no apparent extra effort.

· Registered
1,325 Posts
I think it's more an individual thing then age related. I'm 33 and it takes me about 30 - 40 minutes to warm up, it took me that long 10 years ago. I ride with some guys in their early to mid 50s and some of them take just as long as me and some are ready to go after 5 - 10 minutes.

· Misplaced priorities?
354 Posts
It doesn't seem to take me long to get warmed up. If I want to put out a big effort, then I have to be hammering early. If I start out slow, then I'm probably going to have a hard time giving it full gas later. Within my capabilities, my legs seem to settle into whatever tempo I set early.

The other hard part for me is that I ride to my club's ride locations whereas most folks drive to the ride location, so I'm always ready to roll while they're all warming up in the opening miles of the ride.

· Broken Legs Suck
621 Posts
As i get closer to 40, it takes more time to warm up than it did back when i was racing in my early 20's. I need a good 15-20 minutes before my legs start to loosen up.

I remember many years ago hearing Sean Kelly talk about a short post Tour crit. He said there was basically no point for him as it took him at least 45min to an hour just to get warmed up.

· Registered
3,431 Posts
I often feel like crap for about 20 minutes, thinking about bagging it, turning around, etc. Feeling good correlates with actually starting to sweat for me. Cycling seems more forgiving than, for example, running or XC skiing. I don't know why - maybe because even at a slow, warm up pace, you're cruising right along on a bike, while my warm up pace for running and XC skiing (skate or stride) is more like a fast walk and very hard to discipline myself to do without feeling physically bad.

· Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
"I have more of a problem recovering after long rides."

I'm the same age and I'll definitely second that fact.

· Registered
3,126 Posts
Interesting...

At 20'ish I jumped into a ride after about 3-4 miles. At 42 the mentality is different and it is routine for me to begin putting in harder effort after certain locations.

My view is it is probably my mental state has not quite sync'd with being on the bike. It is like...I'm at the beginning, 25+ more miles before I'm done. I take it easy and it seems like I feel in the groove around 30 minutes. The last half of my ride of some 40+ minutes, I feel really good. By then I'm more than halfway so I look forward to the slight tail wind and I'm anxious. :)

These days with summer and the college kiddies being out of school, I look forward to the tourists on the trails. The little dots ahead makes it more fun because I hope it is some youngish females to break the usual sights. :) Just a mental game for me to spark more motivation. Ironically, the beach going females don't begin to show up until it is about 5 miles away from the beach. Coincidence in my feeling better? :idea:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.