Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me what the air smells like in Italy during the month of May?
I just found out I am going to Italy at the end of May. Yep I have plenty of free time to catch a stage of the giro and hopefully get out for at least 2 days of riding.

Aren't weddings the best?

Anyone who can offer advise as to where to go ride I am all ears. I am passing up an NUE event that weekend but I figure Italy is worth it.

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
if you want adviCe, then it might help if you state where in Italy you're going to be.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah that might help.

I am going to be in Rome and Florence with the ability to go anywhere within reason. I am trying to jam in as much as I can in a short stay.

Thanks

·
Registered
109 Posts
If it's for your honeymoon, you should be riding something and that something isn't a bike
;-)

·
Registered
36 Posts
botto said:
if you want adviCe, then it might help if you state where in Italy you're going to be.
Snap. I heard if you ask really nicely they will let you ride velo inside the Colosseum.

Thankfully Italy can be pretty hilly. Should make for some awesome riding and scenery. I am definitely jealous!

Not that you should pay for this, but here are some ideas!

Italy Rides

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,083 Posts
You may want to post this in Commuting. There are plenty of world travelers that post there and I am sure they have some great ideas.

·
Low rep power
6,264 Posts
Check this out: http://en.firenze.waf.it/

We used it to order museum tix months in advance, then just grinned as we strolled up to the entrance of the Uffizi, passing a 3-hour-long waiting line.....

Florence has the most amazing art I've ever seen- and it's a small city, making it pretty easy to see a lot in a short time.

Oh- I also came back as a gelato addict, but that's another story.......

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Area around Lake Como (sp?) is supposed to be great for riding. Tuscany seems like a good shot as well.
Also, depends if you like hilly or flat?

Sounds like good times to me, enjoy!

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
we called rome euro-disney. extremely touristy. its a two day town. three at the most. if you plan to do the coloseum, buy tickets to both it and palatine hill at paletine hill. that way you dont have to wait in line at the coloseum. people give you dirty looks, but "i already haz tix."

palatine hill is probably the best thing we saw in rome. along with the old chariot-racing grounds. that is now a big park full of dog dookie. but if you let your imaganitaion go, you can see teh races.

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Rome in a Day

weltyed said:
we called rome euro-disney. extremely touristy. its a two day town. three at the most. if you plan to do the coloseum, buy tickets to both it and palatine hill at paletine hill. that way you dont have to wait in line at the coloseum. people give you dirty looks, but "i already haz tix."

palatine hill is probably the best thing we saw in rome. along with the old chariot-racing grounds. that is now a big park full of dog dookie. but if you let your imaganitaion go, you can see teh races.
So true. Unless you're doing the Vatican museams and such, you can see everything you need to see in Rome in a day - then get out to the countryside and ride your bike!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Lucca, San Gimignano, Montecatini, Sienna. I would hang around Firenze and south of, Lucca is a well known bike town (Cipo lives around). In Rome, I susally hang out in the Jewish quarters. For the Giro, just catch the train in your area, I can't think there will be killer stages in Tuscane. Driving North of Milan is not so easy if time is limited.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Second this

identifiler said:
Lucca, San Gimignano, Montecatini, Sienna. I would hang around Firenze and south of, Lucca is a well known bike town (Cipo lives around). In Rome, I susally hang out in the Jewish quarters. For the Giro, just catch the train in your area, I can't think there will be killer stages in Tuscane. Driving North of Milan is not so easy if time is limited.
I can second the San Gimingnano area recommendation, though you would have to be a climber. It might not be the Dolomites, but the hills leading to these medieval hilltop towns are very steep. The scenery is incredible. I don't think there could be a more picturesque place to ride.

As for seeing Rome, when we were there, we hired a guide for a day. It was expensive, but well worth the money.

If I were rich and could speak Italian, my home would be in Tuscany, at least for half the year. I am envious. Have fun.

kg1

·
Registered
266 Posts
Una vita non basta

weltyed said:
we called rome euro-disney.

Lots of stuff to see and do in Rome, all you have to do is ask. Just dont expect to ride. It is too bloody dangerous.

There is great riding in Tuscany and if you decide to go to Venice the Dolimites are a short drive away.

You are going at a great time. Have a good trip!

-G

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the advise. I am getting pretty excited about this trip. Definitely will use the ticket thing. I dont have time or patients to wait in line.

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
goloso said:
Lots of stuff to see and do in Rome, all you have to do is ask. Just dont expect to ride. It is too bloody dangerous.

There is great riding in Tuscany and if you decide to go to Venice the Dolimites are a short drive away.

You are going at a great time. Have a good trip!

-G
If you are comfortable using the Roman subway, you can see a lot quickly.
A good tourist map will show the attractions as well as nearest subway stations.

I've not been to Florance, but hear it is really great.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Tuscany- i rode in several areas in a trip 2 years ago. I still dream about those rides.

NOTHING personifies road cycling as biking thru Chianti or the hill towns of Volterra/ san gimignano. Simply unreal. Steep punchy, rolling terrain with ancient villages and wineries everywhere.

I would recommend a loop south of Florence in Chianti. Radda north to Greve, east over a small pass to a cut thru road (over a decent pass with a monasterie) and back to Radda. 50 mile or so looper.

Another area that was sick was le Crete...just south of Siena (which is the best small city ever...a msut see if you have time). We cycled a loop from Asciano to a hilltop monasterie in the area. The scenery is more arid with weird clay features. Not as hilly as Chianti,

And then the Medieval hill top towns of San Gimignano, Cole Val D'esla and Volterra. Any loop in this area is great with these incredile towns you can see in the distance. I did about 3 variations in this area. Scenery A+. you can see for longer distanes as the hills are not as steep as Chianti and less trees.

have a blast. get a michelin map with the most detail you can.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.