Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
fat tire rider
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Now that the weather is warming up, I would like find a suitable for commuting skin layer to go under my "normal" commuting shorts.

Currently I just wear some beat up lycra under normal shorts, then change out of them to regular underwear I bring with me. I keep work clothes in a closet at work. The lycra is getting too hot, and I'm sick of changing it.

I only ride about 1/2 hour for my commute max. I would like something that is seamless, form fitting, but lightweight and breathable, and comfortable for riding. Chamois not necessary. Preferably, this next to skin layer could be worn all day. Cheap is good as well:)

I've tried cotton underwear and found it wanting.

Ideas from the field?

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Walmart! They sell a spandex sports boxer that is very good for this. Form fitting, fits well (at least on me) and can be worn for a 1/2 hour without pain. And, they are cheap! About 4.00 a pair I think. I wear these when I want to wear my khaki shorts and run around town. So far I've been very impressed.

·
Pedal Master
2,511 Posts
Ridgetop said:
Walmart! They sell a spandex sports boxer that is very good for this. Form fitting, fits well (at least on me) and can be worn for a 1/2 hour without pain. And, they are cheap! About 4.00 a pair I think. I wear these when I want to wear my khaki shorts and run around town. So far I've been very impressed.
Good call...I believe it's basically a square cut speedo look alike deemed the "Euro Cut."

·
fat tire rider
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ridgetop said:
I think that is the ticket. Will check it out next time I'm there.

Bombing around town in my khakies is what I do most.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Argentius said:
I have tried the performance padded cycling brief and found them wanting. Not very comfortable. I wouldn't buy them again. The elastic cut into my waist too much and I thought the padding felt really cheap and awkward. I might try Wal-Mart myself...

·
Registered
198 Posts
I wear a boxer brief made by UnderArmour. They wick moisture well and don't chafe. Buy a size or two larger than their recommendation unless you think the skin you were born with isn't tight enough.

·
Premium Member
11,955 Posts
Rei

gotmilk? said:
I wear a boxer brief made by UnderArmour. They wick moisture well and don't chafe. Buy a size or two larger than their recommendation unless you think the skin you were born with isn't tight enough.
yep, was gonna recommend poly wicking boxers. Patagonia, REI, UnderArmour, etc. Light, comfy and don't stay wet long. (you could always go commando to air them out - but I don't need to know about it if you do ;) )

http://www.rei.com/online/store/Pro...90&parent_category_rn=4501405&vcat=REI_SEARCH

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.