Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, So I finally did it! I bought a bike, I was going to buy one off craigslist but I thought I should get fitted so I could have the best bike for me. I went down to my LBS and told them that I haven't really biked in a while and I needed something to get me started in road cycling. The guy seemed to know his stuff and pointed me towards a Giant FCR1 for around $849. I was kind of discouraged by the lack of drops on the bike, but he said I should first get started on this and after a few months, I can get it converted to drops, and brakes replaced( I'm not sure how that process works, or if it is feasible with this bike, is it?)

Also, the pedals are for clipless shoes, so right now I'm slipping off the pedals a lot because of my lack of clip shoes. The bike feels great, and is super fast. I just want to make sure I got a bike that can become a road bike after awhile. I looked online and they said it was a "fitness" bike, but I've read some posts that say it has the same frame as the OCR. I'm just kind of lost on if I got the right bike for my goals. Also, I see that the rear derailleur is 105, but it isn't 105 throughout, so i'm kind of confused in that respect. I just want to make sure I made the right decision since it's a lot of money(For a poor college student) Thanks guys!

Here's a link
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/...ad/1244/29282/

·
Descender
2,213 Posts
Your desire to get into biking has all the right intentions. I'm not so sure about your LBS.

If you wanted a drop bar bike they have them in your price range. If you want to convert the bike you bought to a drop bar - you may be looking at more cost. Your picture / link doesn't show up so I can't see the bike you bought. Most likely these items will need to be replaced
- The bars
- shifters - what kind came on the bike? Twist or Trigger?
- Brakes / STI shifters are usually drop bar bikes. These are the most expensive to replace.

If this bike fits your needs for the amount of time you plan on using it for than fine. Not many people buy a bike with the idea of upgrading in a couple of months - more like a year or two.

Having worked in a bike shop, I would never sell under those pretenses (of using it for a few months then upgrading) - make sure you communicated with him properly on your intentions for the bike. If you did do you have the option to return it? - and buy what you want from another store?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, the more i'm researching the more it seems like a bad idea. Anyway, I looked at my receipt and it says all sales are final, so that is unfortunate. I e-mailed the bike shop(they're closed right now) and let them know of my situation, and that I wanted to see if they would let me exchange for a bike of equal or more value. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping for a good response. I haven't ridden the bike since the test ride in the parking lot. Hopefully I can go for an OCR2 or something. Any recommendations?

·
Descender
2,213 Posts
Did they convey any kind of return policy to you?
Did you buy it within the last 72 hours? = Buyer's remorse
If they do take it back do you have to buy from them?
The big 4 all sell drop bar bikes in that price range - they will all be similarily equipped / Specialized/ Trek / Giant / Cannondale. Further many other manufacturer's offer bikes at that price point.

I think you have to ask and see what develops

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,352 Posts
pdh777 said:
Did they convey any kind of return policy to you?
Did you buy it within the last 72 hours? = Buyer's remorse
If they do take it back do you have to buy from them?
The big 4 all sell drop bar bikes in that price range - they will all be similarily equipped / Specialized/ Trek / Giant / Cannondale. Further many other manufacturer's offer bikes at that price point.

I think you have to ask and see what develops
Also, if you're going back to them for a drop-bar bike anyway, they have little to lose-make that clear.

You can upgrade what you have. Yes. But doing so will cost you something like 50% of what you spent on the bike you have (bars, brifters, housing/cables, paying for the work time= at least ~$300-$400. If you're lucky and buy the parts yourself on sale.).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey guys, I just got an e-mail back from the owner of the shop, he said I would personally help me find the bicycle for me. Very cordial. Thanks for your advice guys, I really appreciate it. Now I just have to figure out what to go with in terms of bikes. They stock giant, and they can order specialized(I think).

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I got a Giant FCR 3. I, too, had drop bar envy right away. Then I tried a bike with drops. NO THANKS! I'm so much more comfortable on the straight bar. I'm also not terrified that I can't get to the brakes timely.

I'm not going to be racing so really... do I NEED drop bars? Nope. I don't. Do I need to be comfortable so I can ride as much as possible? YUP! Am I so good at this point that the handlebar set up is slowing me down a considerable amount? Heck no.

I have noticed I could use at least one more hand position to fight numbness, so I may put some clamp "bull horns" on at some point.

No more drop envy for me, though.

·
Registered
89 Posts
If you are worried about getting to the brakes, I've seen bikes w/ drop bars that have levers on the drops as well as the horizontal part of the bar... kind of like training brakes???

and to MCpowley... glad to hear that the shp will work w/ you. I'm leaning towards a misunderstanding between the orginal salesman and you from the get-go.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I'd never suggest that someone buy a flat bar and switch later... STI shifters are ridiculously expensive. Between the shifters, bar, tape, and labor, you'd be spending what could have upgraded you to a fairly nice road bike in the first place. Beware the salesman who tried to push that on you.

·
Registered
656 Posts
havnmonkey said:
If you are worried about getting to the brakes, I've seen bikes w/ drop bars that have levers on the drops as well as the horizontal part of the bar... kind of like training brakes???

and to MCpowley... glad to hear that the shp will work w/ you. I'm leaning towards a misunderstanding between the orginal salesman and you from the get-go.
yeah, you generally see them on cross bikes. i personally hate them.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I believe this is the correct link the OP was trying to post

Looking at the specs to convert from flat to drop handle bars you'll need to replace the following:
handle bars (duh), shifters, probably brakes, front derailleur.

Your looking at about $120 for each side for a Tiagra 9-spd STI brifters unless you can find an pre 2008 105's on sale which are also 9-spd. Then brakes figure about another $100, front deraileur $70, handle bars $40-$80. So that's about $410 not including bar tape, cables, and whatever else I missed. Unless they are planning on doing the conversion for free then I'd bring it back if you can.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
havnmonkey said:

livin4lax09 said:
yeah, you generally see them on cross bikes. i personally hate them.
Since OP is looking at Giants, one (or more) of the OCR line has inline brakes - also known as cross brakes. The kind that are on the tops of the bars. They work fine and are easy to remove if OP ever decides he/she doesn't need them.

OP: the Giant drop bar bikes in that price range are nice bikes. If they have one that fits you and is in your price range, no reason to have them special order a specialized. For any given price point, it will not be a "better" bike. Just different.

The OCR bikes are a relaxed geometry - a good compromise between a comfortable bike for a non-racer, but still a good enough bike if you want to go fast and/or race.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey guys, thanks for all the great advice. I decided in the end to do a swap, and the LBS owner was very supportive. I managed to get their last Giant OCR 2 2008 3 days ago for an even swap for $844.

Here are some obligatory photos.

I'm really enjoying it, and I love riding it every night. My endurance really isn't up yet, and I feel like I have the endurance of an elephant, but I'm really skinny, with a slight pouch(Lots of beer my first years of college) 145/5'10. Also, I will go to my LBS in the next few days to get a water bottle holder,, and possibly look at different saddles (My butt hurts A LOT after riding...)

I can wait for the computer, is there any place you guys recommend ordering from, or a good basic cycle computer you'd specifically recommend? As for clip less pedals, there are already SPD pedals on there but I'm not sure whether they should be replaced with different kinds or if I should just buy shoes? Thanks again! Also in terms of jerseys, I should probably go for a plain one, as I am not in a cycling club, and not that great in terms of skill and I'm wondering if getting a team jersey would make be silly for a newbie like me?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I can't help with much besides the rear-pain. If you don't already, get a pair of riding shorts... the padded kind.

Embarrassed to wear only the bike shorts? (Don't worry - I am - I'm a bigger dude and wouldn't want to subject anyone to that) Wear a pair of shorts over them. I wear cargo shorts (have been doing it for a long time) which may negate SOME of the benefit of the padding due to seam location but the padding helps regardless.

I've used the same pair of SPD pedals for almost 10 years now but they are mountain - not road - pedals so YMMV.

I've also used a Cateye bike commuter for the same amount of time and been happy with IT, but again, 10 years is a long time and things change.

Congrats on the new bike - enjoy it!

·
Registered
89 Posts
I recommend the Cateye Strada (wireless on my MTB) it is small and not too expensive and very easy to use... You can find it for ~$35-40.

Cycle shorts are the bomb-diggity!!! get 'em and your heinie will thank you!!

Underarmour makes a real light weight pair of workout shorts... there super light and really stretchy (unlike the modern basketball shorts that are thick and weigh a ton!).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey guys, so I made a visit to my LBS and got a few things. I got 2 specialized e-frames for my water bottles, 2 water bottles, and crank brothers 17 mini tool, a halo II headband(I get sweaty!), some specialized BG sport gloves and umm, that's it. I was going to buy a jersey and some cycling shorts...but they were SO expensive. What else should I get? I'm looking to getting the rest of my stuff online so I can save money. I know I need to get the cateye wireless strada, but what else should I get?

·
P=NP?
263 Posts
Cycling shorts are a must if you plan on ever riding more than 20 min at a time. You're butt will thank you immediately. You will not regret it. Even if you don't get a jersey, you should still get shorts.

Congrats on the bike, you'll love it.

ps You don't wear underwear with padded shorts.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hey guys, so I made a visit to my LBS and got a few things. I got 2 specialized e-frames for my water bottles, 2 water bottles, and crank brothers 17 mini tool, a halo II headband(I get sweaty!), some specialized BG sport gloves and umm, that's it. I was going to buy a jersey and some cycling shorts...but they were SO expensive. What else should I get? I'm looking to getting the rest of my stuff online so I can save money. I know I need to get the cateye wireless strada, but what else should I get?
As far as your computer is concerned I'd go with a Polar cycling computer with a HR monitor built in. Here is a link to their cycle product page http://www.polarusa.com/consumer/cycling/products.asp Heart rate monitoring in my opinion is very important while riding a road bike I dont live by the monitor but it lets me know where I am sitting aerobically and allows me to make informed decisions before making a break doing some sprint work or climbing a small hill in a big gear. Couple that with wireless bike information and its a win win situation. I know my HR monitor came with computer software for downloading exercise data which allows me to track progress and intensity of my workouts/ rides.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I'll share what I learned by buying a cheap cyclo-computer off the rack at a sports store:

I should have gotten one that shows cadence.

Now I'm hoping to pawn this one off on my husband who doesn't seem to care if he has a computer on his bike (why should he when he can just yell and ask me how fast we're going), so I can get a new one. New one will be wireless, and have a cadence monitor.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.